Why did this 1990 QuickTime CD-ROM have a bizarre video of "Spoon Man?"

Originally published at: Why did this 1990 QuickTime CD-ROM have a bizarre video of "Spoon Man?" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

A bizarre video of Mike Mitchell?

3 Likes

did-someone-say-spoon

25 Likes
23 Likes

There! I am insane now.

4 Likes

swing out dance GIF

14 Likes

Now spoonman is your god!

The real question headline should ask is - why didn’t more CD-roms have spoon man episodes?

13 Likes
10 Likes

The '90s in tech were weird. Sadly, I don’t think that’ll ever be the case again…

12 Likes
8 Likes

Can’t figure out if SpoonMan would be the big spoon or the little spoon in a relationship and which would be more terrifying

2 Likes

I almost have to wonder if that was some kind of in-joke among the band members, that lead to the song being written.

2 Likes

That was weird as hell, but I have to admit that the actor really sold it. Good work, whoever you are.

2 Likes

Given where Apple was in 1990 (and who was CEO), I’m surprised it wasn’t the equally bizarre Pepsiman.

4 Likes

That’s actually what I was thinking about this Apple video. It probably started as an inside joke and they said, “hey, we can make a video of about spoon man! It’ll be funny!”

3 Likes

Came here for this, all is well

4 Likes

This set me reminiscing about the sample videos that used tocome with 3D animation software. They seldom seemed to show the best the software could do. One got the impression the publishers solicited clips from a handful of beta testers and ran with whatever they got. This isn’t to say all the samples were poor quality. Many were quite good, though they suffered from being extremely short and very low-resolution due to hardware limitations of the time. It’s just that sometimes the choices were peculiar. The strangest instance was on a VHS promo reel for 3D Studio (the original DOS version), After a bunch of impressive science fiction and architecture clips we were suddenly treated to an embarrassing TV commercial featuring badly-animated singing toes.

5 Likes

in spoonman’s dreams? does this mean he want to spoon all of us? :scream:

11 Likes

me, too!
Artis the Spoonman was the real deal. I saw him doing his street performance down in the Pike Market when I lived in Seattle in the late 80s- early 90s.

love this one:

5 Likes

More spoonman

Spoon comix

1 Like