Why does foil have a shiny side and a dull side?

Originally published at: Why does foil have a shiny side and a dull side? - Boing Boing

13 Likes

The mystery was revealed back in the old days when Discovery had informative content.

Edit: The video doesn’t actually mention the shiny/matte difference, but it does talk about it being doubled for the cold-rolling.

38 Likes

great show, no matter what they showed being made.

18 Likes

That’s how you’re supposed to make Chinese pancakes for moo shi pork. You press two slightly flattened ones together and roll them out thin. Then you separate them.

5 Likes
10 Likes

Yeah, to me the answer is totally obvious, but mainly just because I watch way too many “how it’s made” type videos.

Also: one of my main metrics for evaluating myths about commercial products applies here; if it’s designed for the purpose described, it would be advertised as such. Manufacturers don’t go to extra lengths in a process without crowing about it. As my colleague says “untold goes unsold.”

13 Likes

I always thought it had to do with reflecting or absorbing various radio frequencies.

25 Likes

:thinking: Ok, cool. Now explain the reason behind the other mystery about that product:

9 Likes

Humphry Davy couldn’t make up his mind, leaving us to choose from aluminium, aluminum and alumium.

10 Likes
7 Likes

must be the non american narration-- it’s all metric.

3 Likes

I’m sure there is some good technical reason why they can’t fold a sheet 3 times before rolling, to make 2 rolls of “economy” and 6 rolls of bi-shiny “pro” foil.

1 Like

Good old Davy (I’m from his home town).

He also tried to get the world to adopt the name magnium after he discovered the element magnesium to avoid confusion with manganese, as well as boracium instead of boron.

2 Likes

This website claims the opposite: “The bright finish is produced when the foil comes in contact with the work roll surfaces. To produce the matte finish, two sheets must be packed together and rolled simultaneously; when this is done, the sides that are touching each other end up with a matte finish.”

Read more: How aluminum foil is made - material, manufacture, making, used, processing, dimensions, aluminium, procedure

5 Likes

“Tonight: Controversy around aluminum levels in vitamins, herbs and tomatoes - what are the advertisements not telling you?”

5 Likes

I’m glad this post came out firmly with a debunking of purported uses for the shiny or dull side that people have made up over the years. None of it matters.

4 Likes

just because it wasn’t manufactured for those purposes, doesn’t (necessarily) mean it doesn’t matter.

the street will find a way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

BoingBoing has a Youtube channel?

4 Likes

This has been tested and debunked by plenty of sources. There’s no difference in cooking performance for either side. It’s a persistent myth, like sugar making kids hyperactive or cold weather making you sick.

9 Likes
1 Like