Why dry spaghetti shatters when you snap it

Ah, see? I knew it had to be out there.

Good ol’ capitalism, solving problems with its invisible hand; seen here in a rare photo while getting ready to dish out some market justice with its pet spoon, Woody:

One time I did that and the bag split right up the side. Spaghetti went everywhere. It was still showing up years later.

4 Likes

It looks less like photoshop and more like a clear plastic “window” to see the actual pasta in the package.

4 Likes

Get a bigger pot. You probably need more water, anyway. I see people trying to boil pasta in small stock pots, and I facepalm. Get a 5 quart pot, minimum You need at least 4 quarts of salty water to properly cook a typical package of dried spaghetti, anyway.

2 Likes

This talk of having spaghetti “fit” a particular size of pot is making me feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone. Here is how I cook standard competition-sized 250mm spaghetti in a 200mm pot:

1. take a hank of spaghetti, twist it, stand it in the center of the pot and let it go so it falls into a hyperboloid in the normal way (it won’t quite fit into the pot, of course)
  2. boil a kettle of water (I realise people in many countries don’t have self-contained electric kettles, but even if you have a stovetop kettle this is still quicker and more energy-efficient than boiling water in an open vessel). Turn on the burner while the water is boiling.
  3. pour the boiling water over the pasta, which softens it instantly
  4. sweep around the edge of the pot so the now-bendy noodles all fall into the water
  5. you now have a wreath of spaghetti immersed in boiling water
  6. enjoy your tasty plate of plain spaghetti
5 Likes

With all of that effort required I can see why people eat SpaghettiOs from a can!

(Not really. Gross! Yuck! Disgusting!)

1 Like

Why break spaghetti? If they are sold in that size there’s a reason. Some artisanal spaghetti are sold much longer and bent in two because they are dried on an horizontal wooden bar.
IF you don’t like long spaghetti you could use a shorter pasta like penne, conchiglie, tortiglioni or hou could buy coiled pasta like this:
barbine or lasagnette

If you are going to make a bolognese, of course you have to use not spaghetti but coiled lasagne or fettuccine

But if you really want them you can buy spaghetti tagliati

3 Likes

I once spilled pasta in my kitchen.
My friend commented, “I bet you fusilli now!”

5 Likes

I hold my head high, colander-clad.

4 Likes

I stopped eating pasta to lower my carb intake but I never understood what the fuss was about.

Shorter spaghetti is easier to eat. That is all.

Less length of it to slobber over your chin (or even beard) when you are getting it into your mouth. Less length of it to do that cool whip motion into your eyeball when you slurp that last strand inside (alright that eyeball bit is a exaggeration).

Best way to break it in half? Take the amount of spaghetti you need, put one hand on each end, twist and break towards the boiling pot, the twist ensures minimal shrapnel, aimed right all of it will be directed straight into the water.

8 Likes

You’re in luck! Shorter spaghetti also has fewer carbs…:wink:

4 Likes

Shorter spaghetti are way lesst satisfying to eat because the act ow coiling them serves to better take the sauce. Othert types of pasta are ribbed to better get to the sauce.
If you can’t coil properly spaghetti with a fork, why don’t you eat short pasta? There are literally hundreds of types, traditional or weird one could choose.
https://www.voiello.it/site/pasta

2 Likes

EAT ALL THE PASTA!

Honestly, for myself, Now that I’ve given it more than a bit of thought, I believe I first started breaking spaghetti in half because that’s how my mom did it. Then I made up reasons why to do that as I went.

Ultimately, my reason is probably because I don’t know how to actually cook pretty much anything. I just fumble my way through it and hope to live another day.

I have pots of all sizes, including a large one that, if I fill it all the way, maybe leaves an inch of spaghetti sticking above the water line; but it feels like a huge waste of water to use that one if all I’m doing is making dinner for me and my wife.

That said, I’m going to give @bobtato 's recommendation a shot, the next time I go against my doctor’s advice and prepare some pasta. That day has a good chance of being tonight, because I keep looking at pasta and my weak will is crumbling.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.