Why Elon Musk will never succeed with Twitter

You can always pull a reverse Elon. You know, buy any other electric car and just pretend it’s a Tesla.

5 Likes

Same. When I first saw them on the road, I thought it was cool to see electrics out and about, now I roll my eyes and wonder if they’re green like me, or cyypto‐bro fanboys of that idiot.

2 Likes

I am not an artist, but have been playing with this ai generator, and it’s dead easy.

became this

and this

ETA:
Welcome to Boingboing!

2 Likes

I had an old Nissan 240SX with a small polarized patch on the screen that reflected some LEDs showing speed on the windscreen. Later, a MINI with a piece of plexi that displayed a bunch of info right above the steering wheel.

I know this is often kind of a gimmick, but I wholly support putting the information directly in front of my eyes (in an unobtrusive manner). Everything else should be moved to the steering wheel (when important and sanely implemented), or via a distinct tactile interface on the dash/center console.

4 Likes

I would ban any displays other than on/off indicator lights and analog needle gauges

Distracted driving is a big problem and people still don’t take it seriously

5 Likes

He probably already has succeeded with Twitter.

1 Like

He can always move the goalposts… to spaaaaace!

4 Likes

A city car needs at least some usable trunk space.

I think where this car will really shine is in a segment that simply doesn’t exist in the US. It’s the same segment that roadsters and some motorcycles inhabit: the weekend leisure drive. Driving to a destination maybe a maximum of 70km away over winding roads where the drive is as much the point of the trip as the destination either for a day trip or staying there for just a night. It’s something a lot of people do in Europe when the weather is nice. That’s why I wonder whether it will come as a cabriolet because it would be a summer car anyway.

1 Like

Real car companies have the experience of a literal century with how to make a car cockpit where everything can be controlled relatively intuitively without looking. The clutter and tactility of a car that Musk wanted to get rid of is not a bug, it’s a feature.

There’s a reason pilot’s don’t like the F35s glass cockpit, with one saying he has a 20% error rate pushing touchscreen buttons in flight!

3 Likes

If they can fly through a touchscreen, why even put the pilot inside the plane? They’re a lot safer tapping the screen in a trailer on the ground :thinking:

2 Likes

probably either landing or latency.

does make me wonder though whether they’ll ever try driverless cars by having people operate them remotely. driver outsourcing

1 Like

It seems that sometimes we need to re-learn important and costly lessons that had been learned decades prior. Huge numbers of B17s crashed upon landing because the landing gear and flaps levers were nearly identical and pilots kept raising the landing gear by mistake. When they finally gave each lever a knob with a distinct shape the problem went away.

Good tactile interfaces aren’t just convenient, they save lives. God knows how many people have had crashes caused by looking away from the road to change the radio station or adjust the A/C with a touchscreen interface. And now you need to do it for safety critical stuff like turning on windshield wipers in a Tesla. Unforgivable on Tesla’s part, but we really need the government to step in and regulate this crap too. The FAA has rules on this, so the NHTSA needs to step up their game.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.