"Why I Hate My Uncle," by William Hitler (Look magazine, 1939)

That was my inclination. I’ve been burned “before” with that activity.

2 Likes

Oh, THAT William Hitler?

Chekhov?

11 Likes

he made me promise to retract my articles and threatened to kill himself if anything else were written on his private life.”

Now he tells us… Would have been more helpful to know this in about 1940.

3 Likes

I’d be amazed if he got a regular navy position. They could have fed him with disinformation, and looked the other way when he applied to build an amateur radio transmitter.

2 Likes

“Originally priced at 10 cents, this copy features Hollywood film stars Hedy Lamarr and Robert Taylor on the cover,”

Robert Taylor? Of Black Acting School??

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I am not sure on the stats, but shooting yourself in the heart isn’t uncommon. It allows an open casket and shows some forethought about the people you leave behind.

I personally know one person who committed suicide this way :frowning:

ETA - oh - I just replied to a 5 year old reply… oops

4 Likes

It’s ok, we’re all going to do it.

Looking through the comments, besides the odd debate about the value of the physical item, I don’t see any comments about an electronic copy. I mean, physical is cool for collecting but it sounds interesting to read.

I spent a few minutes searching and found it on the Internet Archive - Look 1939-07-04: Vol 3 Iss 14 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

4 Likes

“I published some articles on my uncle when I returned to Florida and was forthwith summoned back to Mar-a-Lago and taken with my father and aunt to Trump’s hotel. He was furious. Pacing up and down, wild-eyed and seething, he made me promise to retract my articles and threatened to kill me if anything else were written on his private life.”

4 Likes

Thanks for finding that, it was really fascinating to read the whole thing in full context.

1 Like

No problem! I wish I could figure out how to download it though, instead of just view it for an hour.

1 Like

“Another patron is using this book. Please check back later” That must be you.

Moving to the United States in 1939, William served in the US Navy in World War II. After the war, William Hitler changed his last name to Stuart-Houston.

Emphasis mine. Must have had an interesting war. Personally I would have done that before joining the US Navy

You know who else hates their uncle.

(Why is this open? Oh well)

1 Like