"Why I Take All My First Dates to Olive Garden"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/19/why-i-take-all-my-first-date.html

8 Likes

Additionally, they don’t even cook properly

36 Likes

I don’t think i would mind if my date suggested Olive Garden and was serious. It’s not a place i’d like to go eat at but i don’t hate it, ultimately for me its more important to make sure my date is in a setting they’re comfortable… if it happens to be Olive Garden then so be it.

Edit: I’ve legitimately been taken to an Olive Garden, but it was not our first date i think.

25 Likes
19 Likes
4 Likes

Maybe this is why he she has a lot of first dates…

edit : fixing gender cause I need more coffee thanks @Brainspore

28 Likes

The author is a woman, but yeah it does sound like her dating life may have a high turnover rate.

It also seems potentially creepy to spend the whole first date talking about favorite sexual positions but I guess that depends on what kind of dating scene you’re into.

20 Likes

I used to crack up when I saw the Olive Garden commercial where the guy shows off his relatives from Italy and says “Whenever my family from the old country comes to visit, I take them to Olive Garden!” Yeah, right, don’t do that. “For dessert I’m gonna have a hunk of that Chocolate Brownie Lasagna, just like Grandma Giordino used to make.”

22 Likes
7 Likes

It seems like a kind of litmus test for people who take themselves (or life) too seriously. You could probably achieve the same thing with Taco Bell or Burger King.

9 Likes

Ah, the Wayne’s World approach.

19 Likes

“Why I have so many first dates”

13 Likes

The very same argument is why I take a date to Mickey D’s. If you can murmur sweet nothings and still be heard over the BEEP BEEP BEEP of the fry machine, then it was meant to be.

8 Likes

Well, that was depressing.

3 Likes

I ate there once, it was fucking awful. Terrible, overcooked pasta in gross sauces. The lack of salt in the pasta water was the least of their culinary sins.

So it would be a good filter for a first date for me, too - in that I wouldn’t want to date anyone who liked eating there.

"I love their confused expressions! That’s how I learned the Italian for ‘What is this shit?’ "

18 Likes

Haven’t read the whole article, but she sounds like a nightmare first date.
Her expectation seems to be that her new crush will be perfectly happy to just carry on where the last (failed) attempt ended.

6 Likes

As an Australian whose hobbies include furrowing his brow and shaking his head condescendingly, I’d love for someone to take me to an Outback Steakhouse so I could see what’s inside.
Is it disappointment? I bet it’s disappointment.

38 Likes

Wait, so onions don’t do this naturally in Australia?

https://food.fnr.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/food/fullset/2009/11/4/3/FNM_120109-Copy-That-003_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.826.620.suffix/1382539108338.jpeg

25 Likes

It’s not the way our elected representatives would choose to eat them, no.

18 Likes

I used to be acquainted with a very wonderful woman who told me Mickey D’s was the first date for her and her husband, for pretty much this reason. If I remember correctly, she said that the companionship was more important than the destination.

12 Likes