"Why I Take All My First Dates to Olive Garden"

Denny’s can be wildly inconsistent. Eating at the closest one to my house made me both depressed and terrified of the impending food poisoning (or worse) that never materialized. On the other hand I got talked into stopping at one off of I-5 somewhere on the way back from LA and it was surprisingly clean and the food good (as good as food from Denny’s can be, I guess).

1 Like

Sobriety I think is the word that covers it

3 Likes

The Little Italy neighborhood in San Diego has a couple of places that I think are run by honest-to-goodness Italian-Americans, and you can often hear Italian spoken there. I’m not sure about the food quality, though. Fine dining in San Diego is often above my pay grade.

3 Likes

You have Chipotle over there these days, yes? So think Chipotle, only Italian instead of Mexican. Or, really, any restaurant that pretends to represent a culture, serves food that is roughly in the style of that culture, and – while not genuinely bad – is just a pastiche of the character of the culture. Such as:

…only much cheaper and far less pretentious.

2 Likes

I used to take all my first dates to Golf N Stuff. You learn a lot about a man when he’s losing at mini-golf.

28 Likes

Denny’s is for breakfast or desserts. Not “real” food.

5 Likes

after you have been out till 3am.

7 Likes

“All my first dates”…the end.

3 Likes

Many years ago (around the time of David Koresh), Olive Garden was voted most romantic dinner in Waco.

4 Likes

“My uncle used to swear at Wow wow sauce”

“don’t you mean by?”

“…he may have done that too…”

12 Likes

My opinion of Olive Garden went up a tiny bit when I ate at a local (not Olive Garden) “Italian” restaurant, and the person I was with asked the server to make sure her pasta was al dente, and the server AND THE COOK had no idea what that meant. Well, maybe my opinion of Olive Garden didn’t go up, but I realized how much worse it could be.

12 Likes

Well, in the gay (and presumably lesbian) world, the one who invites us the one who pays. Solves the outdated “the guy should always pay” conundrum

4 Likes

Had s friend who claimed he’ll never be in a (gay) long term relationship because he said he loved Outback Steakhouse. I told him any guy who disses your choice of restaurant is a pretentious sh!t and he’s better off without him.

7 Likes

I’ve been trying to come up with a joke about the Old Spaghetti Factory, but I got nothin’

6 Likes

I would say, think of a Harvester level Bella Italia. I’d say that was olive garden equiv here in the UK.

3 Likes

That sounds … unpleasant.

1 Like

That’s rather beautiful, and I intend to make one of my very own. Pakora style batter ought to Gussy it up a bit.

2 Likes

I love Spaghetti Factory. So cheap! Solid but not stellar pasta. Lovely salad and I like that they don’t give you a huge dessert.

4 Likes

No, dude, that’s waffle house!

4 Likes

Only if you live in the right states. Alas while there was a Waffle House in St. Louis there was only one and Denny’s is everywhere and Waffle House is a mere idea as far west as I am now.

3 Likes