Why impact lawn sprinklers are so amazing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/31/why-impact-lawn-sprinklers-are.html

9 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKi7xGE4BEw

5 Likes

Also see the hudraulic ram:

4 Likes

I love that guy’s channel.

4 Likes

That looked like a very nice sprinkler he was holding. I appreciated the explanation of some of the less obvious (to me) features, like the pin.

I’m also really glad he put in the warning about “armature.” That was really driving me up a wall by the end. Just “arm” is fine.

At one point, he highlighted a video artifact. I’m curious about it too. My best guess is an unfortunate interaction between the rolling shutter, video stabilization algorithms, and the frequency of the spray of water from the sprinkler - tricking the algorithm into thinking there was vibration in the image when there was none. Alternately, might be simple encoding artifacts from the relatively high complexity of all the little drops spraying out.

2 Likes

This is another favorite of mine:

7 Likes

The best and cheapest sprinklers on the shelf.

2 Likes

Sorry to be the party pooper, but lawn sprinklers are anything but awesome:

5 Likes

Not necessarily. Sprinklers can be quite awesome for helping out the veg patch when the going gets really dry. Lawns that serve only to grow grass? Yeah, that’s a disaster.

3 Likes

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

4 Likes

If you like this video, check out the two-parter on old jukeboxes. Ever wonder how a jukebox from 1970 registers your money, records your selection, grabs the right record, play music, detects when the song is over, and puts the record back all without microprocessors?

6 Likes

I like this guy, his corny puns and technical explainers. Thanks for enlightening me, I will subscribe. AvE is another corny guy that entertains me with his technical knowledge.

3 Likes

One of his videos that I really liked was this one on the Sunbeam Toaster. An old product, but thanks to some clever mechanical engineering, superior to many modern toasters in convenience and operation.

8 Likes

I’ve seen this sentiment a lot and I feel like it really misses the point.

“Your lawn is an ecological wasteland! It’s a big mono culture with no place for the bugs and snakes and mice to live. It might as well be a desert.”

But for most people that’s exactly what they want. Leaving it to run wild means you have mice chewing on your house.

2 Likes

No love for Orton Englehart?

Can you imagine a world where sprinklers are used in applications other than mono lawns?

2 Likes

Nobody’s even mentioned the best part of impact sprinklers…

wharrgarbl

10 Likes

I can never watch the item in k-pax now cause it’s scary… :slight_smile:

I was about to recommend the self-same video! Great minds etc.

1 Like

Hydraulic rams and Lambach pumps are amazing. I looked into them once when I came across a 19th century one in the middle of a field in an open-air museum and I was amazed that you can pump water without any electricity involved. That particular one was providing water for a millrace. The watermill had been rescued from an other location but the hill they had in the museum didn’t have an adequate water supply on its own.

1 Like