Why is everyone suddenly baking bread? I think I know

Same here- I normally bake every other day, but haven’t been able to buy flour for 3 weeks now.

It is comfort food but also the process is incredibly therapeutic.

1 Like

Why is everyone suddenly baking bread? I think I know

Because my local bakery has shut down except for two three-hour slots a week and there is a queue a mile long and I am under medical house arrest, anyway?

How much of the western world’s caloric intake just shifted very suddenly from the foodservice side of the supply chain over to the grocery side? One has to imagine that some in the former group are dealing with some painful (and therefore painfully ironic) surpluses right now.

I use this recipe a lot lately. Very consistent loaf for sandwiches/toast. Softer than rustic sourdough.

Making bread gives to perspective on you life and other in your karas.

Gareth–did you know Banford E. from Twin Oaks?

1 Like

Yeah actually. Restaurant Depot just opened to the public.

https://www.restaurantdepot.com/

You should be able to get 50lb sacks of commercial quality flour. All Trumps and Gold Medals high gluten range seem to be go tos for commercial bread bakers.

1 Like

I don’t understand where all these corona bakers are getting their ingredients.

We put in a stash of non-perishables first week of February… :thinking:

@Ryuthrowsstuff Bother, nearest Restaurant Depot to me is over the border in Buffalo

Not going to happen… :frowning_face:

An old saw would definitely not get those perfect slices.

Yeah I already had some of my own stock since I bake regularly but infrequently (like, once every couple weeks) I’ve baked once since all this started and am starting on my second batch of something, but it’s not like I had a lot to begin with. I really wish I could catch a shipment of flour.

The thing I hate most about running out of flour like this is that constantly checking the store for a shipment and going back repeatedly is exactly what I’m not supposed to do! So I’ve been playing by the rules, going shopping only when the necessities run out and buying enough to avoid coming back for at least a week, and slowly running out of flour. >=\

2 Likes

That’s too bad. And they’re pretty much the only wholesaler with retail operations so it’s not like you can look for the local equivalent.

I’ve got to make some flatbread after work tonight. I’m not due to shop for a few more days and the remaining foods I have are mostly to put on bread. I’m getting tired of eating cheese dipped in hummus.

Last week I watched a woman buy up 50 bags of masa flour. I dunno where she was going, but I really wanted to tag along.

I am not a baker. Not bread, not even most cookies. But, the couple things I do make:

Oatmeal Banana cookies (yeah that is all the ingredients, you can add chocolate chips if you like)

Tortillas. If you have some flour (white/wheat/corn) and lard (or other shortening) and a rolling pin or tortilla maker, you’re good. I usually make a big pile of them in multiple sizes.

A quick internet search should deliver a recipe you are happy with.

Everyone is making bread because it’s much easier than making toilet paper or milk.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.