Why it is a very bad idea to keep a lynx as a pet

This was a setup. The idiot with that camera was deliberately provoking the animal. You can hear the camera holder aping the animal’s sounds, egging it on. The way they kept approaching it and then backing away is a threat display in probably every mammal species. Whoever made that film is a rotten swine who deserves to be clawed and peed on.

26 Likes

If he keeps backing himself into a corner like he is with that kitchen island, he might get clawed and peed on sooner than he thinks.

8 Likes

According to the user who posted the link on Reddit, this video was taken by a house-sitter. Yes, mewling back at the animal was stupid. But, if the Reddit poster is correct (and I can’t figure out how they knew it), then I’m going to save my blame for the fuckwit douchebag shit stain excuse for a human being that thought a wild animal would make a good pet.

Goddamn people are fucking morons!

14 Likes

That one only gets a pass because:

1. It was the 1930’s and things were weird for rich white people back then
  2. Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant were just awesome actors
  3. The leopard was only used as a pretext to set up a booty call. She had no intention to keep it as a real pet.
12 Likes

Honestly. Get a Savannah cat, name it Babou, tell people it’s an ocelot.

Most people won’t know.

Until they mail-order an ocelot for their kid.

16 Likes

And most importantly it is one of the greatest screwball comedies EVER!

10 Likes

Hey, Darwin was looking for this little fella!

1 Like

Arguably - none were killed for bad behavior. Unless one truly believes that behaviors are “bad” simply because they are not of service to humans. That’s a minority view on this planet.

2 Likes

Savannah cats and other hybrids aren’t great ideas for pets either. They frequently have spraying, litter box and aggression issues, as well as all kinds of congenital health problems. Plus breeders are often cruel and encourage inbreeding. You don’t see what happens to the first three or four generations of hybrid cats who haven’t had the wildness (supposedly) bred out of them, nor do you see the ones born with genetic defects. There are too many unwanted cats in shelters to spend thousands on an animal that might have to be euthanized or given over to a sanctuary just because of its wild heritage.

7 Likes

It’s only a matter of time before it goes missing and the neighborhood ends up plastered with flyers reading “MISSING LYNX.”

20 Likes

Well, obviously choosing a relatively asocial top predator like a lynx is pretty stupid. But the Russian breeding experiments on Arctic foxes shows they could be domesticated in remarkably few generations - and London’s urban foxes are half way there without people even trying.

2 Likes
userdel renke
chmod 777 /usr/bin/lynx

done. what now?

29 Likes

Nonsense. My pet lion is sitting on my lap as I type this and I have never had any issues with its behavibnnnnjbjnnmkn

20 Likes

Because beautiful and harmless creatures like gorillas, and now a jaguar in Brazil, get killed as a result.

In D H Lawrence’s Mountain Lion (I’m writing from memory) he says that the world could lose a million or so humans and never miss them in exchange for one mountain lion. When we read this in English at school our English mistress remarked that of course this was quite wrong. She was most surprised when all of us who were doing biology proceeded to disagree.

10 Likes

Or a lion… http://www.higherperspectives.com/melanie-griffith-1406175353.html

3 Likes

Strictly speaking, it was (spoiler alert) a gift for her aunt.

4 Likes

I’m not convinced it was a deliberate setup. I’ve seen people do exactly the wrong thing with animals way too many times. Like my friend who is terrified of dogs, and used to raise her hand to “assert her dominance” over dogs she encountered until we explained to her that’s the common hand gesture to tell a dog to jump. She was always complaining dogs hated her on sight and would try to attack her. She had no idea they were doing exactly what she was telling them to do.

In this case, the sitter seems to think lynxes are like dogs – I’m pretty sure she said, “go play with your ball” at one point. Of course, that’s not how you deal with any agitated cat, and since this one isn’t even domesticated, it was going to be a disaster from the start.

7 Likes

Raccoons too probably.
Wonder why people don’t adopt then more. Stigma of it being a trash eater i guess.

2 Likes

Have you explained this to Facebook users? (for some expansion of the value of “mail”, obviously.)

1 Like

rm -rf

5 Likes