Why modern cling wrap sucks

Waxed paper, foil, and rubber bands are probably less likely to be floating around the ocean in 100 years.

3 Likes

I found a 25 year old roll of the classis Saran Wrap in my parents cupboard…
You all think modrrn things work well, that Stretch-Tite is great.
Classic Saran literally will suck itself into a ball if you leave it hanging in the air. It’s also much thicker than modern stretch wrap, to the point where its more cling and less stretch.

Plus the smell of it brings back eatting cake squares from the school cafeteria…ummm cancer coated goodness.

4 Likes

I’ve honestly been thinking about buying wrap from a restaurant supply store because the stuff you usually can get sucks donkey dicks.

1 Like

Nope. I have this and it sucks also.

Indeed. Plastic wrap and all single-use plastic crap really bugs me. On the other hand, these things work like a hot damn!

4 Likes

Stretch-Tite contains PVC, which has been shown to cause some health problems. But it’s what we use because it works.

One will need a lot of counter space. My wifes place has that, but she keeps a lot of food up there.
Also, we don’t (in the day) use the cutter bar but use a knife, but you must know that already.

5 Likes

Stretch wrap is useful in industrial food service for those big pans of food that are only stored overnight, but for home use why not just use lids. They don’t breath as much if fitted, which is a good thing since I tend to store things for multiple days. And of course they don’t end up in the middle of the ocean or in our lungs.

2 Likes

I had always been curious about adhesives in cling wrap. Google is my friend. Turns out the plastic itself has no cling properties; it’s an adhesive that is applied that creates the tack.

I don’t like the idea of adhesives in my food. It seems that polyisobutylene is a common adhesive, as this passage from a patent confirms.

Preferably the elastomeric polymer is a polymer containing at least partly units derived from isobutylene, preferably polyisobutylene homopolymer, VLDPE, or an ethylene-propylene rubber with suitable rheological properties and compatible to provide a low haze blend. Advantageously the elastomer is an olefin polymer of a higher olefin monomer from C4 to C13 and preferably polyisobutylene or polybutylene, said olefin polymer preferably having a Mv (Viscosity average molecular weight) 30 000 to 80 000. The elastomeric component should be used in amounts which do not give rise to compatibility problems; for this reason no more than 10, preferably 7%, is used. When polyisobutylene is used a PIB having an Mv of less than 30 000 will not impart sufficient strength and elasticity. Rather it may exude to the surface and provide an oily surface.

So seven percent or so is this polyisobutylene which is not very well bonded to the plastic itself. Doesn’t sound appetizing to me.

It’s called fashion sweetie, look it up

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.