Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

Why do all conservative pundits look like they are (enjoying) having serious problems pushing out an unimaginably huge shit from a dry and concretised bowel?

2 Likes

Just… wow…

Iowa Senate Candidate Tom Fiegen explains how the Democratic establishment tried and failed to prevent him from publicly endorsing Bernie Sanders at their event.

https://np.reddit.com/r/SandersForPresident/comments/3tb31g/tom_fiegen_for_us_senate_iowa_i_endorsed_bernie/

Via link: (emphasis mine)

I attended the Bernie rally before the JJ, and walked with him across the bridge to the hall where the JJ was going to be held. It felt like a civil rights march. People were arm in arm, chanting, holding up signs.

When we got to HyVee Hall, where the JJ dinner was held, there were 3,500 - 3,600 of us. They had seven metal detectors. I kept track and they were screening four people per minute. That meant 900 minutes between seven detectors, or 160 minutes. I was in the middle of the crowd, and it took me two hours to get through security. Young people behind me were sitting down and laying on the floor because they were getting tired after standing for so long. I heard some of them gave up and went home. I hope not. But the incompetence of the people organizing the JJ Dinner in having so few metal detectors/screeners made me angry.

Then when I got into the hall, I saw that the Democratic Party had erected barricades between the people at the tables who paid $120 - $1,000 for their meal, and the people on the bleachers who paid $50. It sent the message that the Democratic Party did not want the people on the bleachers mingling with the people at the tables. It also made it seem like the people on the bleachers were second class citizens.

So when it was time for me to be introduced, I took the sign with me. Prior to the event, all of the candidates were required to submit a 150 word introduction. Mine included an endorsement of Bernie Sanders. When I got on stage, I saw the Teleprompter. It had my endorsement edited out. When I saw that, I held the sign above my head. The place just exploded. The cheers from 2/3 of the crowd shook the hall. Other people told me that it was like a bomb went off. The only place completely silent? The $1,000 a plate tables at the edge of the stage. They sat there frozen like they were made of concrete. I think they knew or sensed at that moment that the people power can and will overwhelm their money.

16 Likes

Bernie Sanders Reaches New High in Support: Poll

Considering the polls are very skewed against Sanders (too much emphasis on landlines, etc.), this may mean in the real world that Sanders is getting quite close to beating Clinton. Much more work needs to be done, but don’t let the corporate media wear you down. Bernie Sanders can win.

2 Likes

Looking at 2008, there is a similar pattern emerging.

Obama trailed Hillary until a shift at the beginning of the year: on January 6th, to be precise. If you recall, she was getting absolutely beaten up in the media at the time, around gender issues. However, Obama was drawing mega-crowds. People were taking notice.

Bernie needs to establish trust with people. That’s Hillary’s weak spot. Younger people already know Bernie isn’t going to say one thing and then do another once elected. So getting people to realize that might give him a chart similar to this 2008 primaries chart.

The 2008 primaries were a different dynamic in the media. People were very unfair to Hillary about the fact she’s a woman. She was the one receiving the “media shun” (which was hardly the same, because she WAS getting lots of coverage.) Her campaign was trying to shape the media, and she had a big shakeup in April 2008 after things went awry with that scheme. This time, Bernie is getting the media shun and Hillary is the golden child. But Bernie isn’t getting beaten up as much as he’s being ignored, because there’s really nothing sticky to actually beat him up about. He’s right about Wall Street, so they are turning their backs on him. It’s a little different this time around.

12 Likes

Nice contrast between the link and the actual headline there.

Looks like someone spotted the original was ignoring the real story again.

3 Likes

That’s great comparison and analysis. Thank you for that post. I don’t think a simple “like” on your post gives it enough justice.

5 Likes

Sanders is heating up the Bern, Boing Boing.

Bernie Sanders Talks Income Inequality at Black Churches in South Carolina

Bernie Sanders Talks Income Inequality at Black Churches in South Carolina - ABC News

In South Carolina, which has the first Democratic primary in the South, Sanders faces a unique challenge. A poll from Winthrop University released November 1 found Clinton with 80 percent of the African American vote in the state.

Still it seems the Sanders campaign is not yet folding here. They have hired dozens of community organizers and paid canvassers to target African American communities, and just last week rolled out new radio ads to target these communities as well. During his three-day swing through the state this weekend, he was often flanked by one or two African American elected official or TV personalities.

Bernie Sanders packs the house at Savannah town hall

http://m.savannahnow.com/latest-news/2015-11-22/bernie-sanders-packs-house-savannah-town-hall#gsc.tab=0

Though the doors didn’t open until 5 p.m. Sunday night, those attending Bernie Sanders’ Town Hall at the Johnny Mercer Theater began arriving more than an hour before.

By the time the doors actually did open, hundreds were lined up outside the Civic Center. Varying ages, most in their mid-20s, stood in anticipation of getting a good seat. Some literally ran to the front row as they entered the theater.

The lower level of the theater was at 60 percent capacity within minutes. Half an hour later, the balcony had to be opened.

Hillary flip flops like usual:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/11/22/1453271/-Hillary-Clinton-was-against-attacking-Universal-Healthcare-in-2008-attacks-it-in-2015?_=2015-11-22T13:49:45-08:00

This video shows the flip-flop in action:

Finally, here’s a great response to Hillary’s “simple math” bullshit on single payer for health care:

8 Likes

But where’s @Mindysan33?

4 Likes

Well, I missed the coke at Busy Bee’s, but I made the rally! It was great! The place was packed - full house at the Fox theater (which is close to 5000 seats). Bernie started talking about Dr. King (as you do in the ATL) after getting introduced by Killer Mike. He pointed out how King was not popular in his time, and how he focused on economic inequality and was anti-war. He then went into his stump, and hit all the highlights. No foreign policy, he stuck to his bread and butter. The crowd loved him, and he loved us.

12 Likes

https://twitter.com/KillerMike/status/668907562079789056

Killer Mike Introduces Bernie Sanders in Atlanta

Stay with it

Oh hell yeah!

9 Likes

#Hell yeah!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving, Boing Boing.

7 Likes

source.

6 Likes

Poll: Bernie Sanders Rated America’s Most Popular U.S. Senator; More Women Donors Than Clinton

14 Likes

“Our own Margaret Thatcher” (referencing Clinton)

That had to bern.

8 Likes

Nice link to share with those that still may think Bernie Sanders would lose the general:

5 Likes

From /r/SandersForPresident:

PPP Poll in New Hampshire has Hillary Clinton at 44%, Bernie Sanders at 42% and Martin O’Malley at 8%. That is within the margin of error! Make calls to New Hampshire, knock on doors if you live there, register voters and Bernie WILL win.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Saw this today:

18 Likes