Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

I said I don’t usually vote for President? Hmmm. I don’t normally vote in primaries, but I normally vote in the general election.

I did indeed contribute money to Sanders, but my opinion has changed over the last year. I like most of his policies, but the man is angry all the time and just yells and yells and yells about the same thing over and over. I just can’t shake this feeling that Sanders is all bluster and is completely ineffectual at building support within government to get what he wants done.

Compromised on legislation? The AUMF is 60 words long. What exactly was his compromise? It authorized the endless war on terror and all the horrible things that came with. And effective legislator?

Let me quote Nader of all people:

Dear Bernie:

This letter is long overdue, but still timely. For years, I have been trying to speak with you, meet with you and discuss dynamic ways to expand progressive activities between citizen groups and your office on the critical issues of corporate power and abuse. So have others. To no avail.

For example, in the past year I have called you many times at your Washington office. Your staff dutifully takes my messages, forwards them to you and you do not call back. Never. During your famous marathon address on the Senate floor in 2010, I called to congratulate you and suggest that your cogent arguments be reproduced in a small book. Your staff took the message to you. No return call.

Back in 2007, we held the most notable conference on corporate power and reforms in the country right in Washington, D.C. You, along with Congressman Kucinich and others, were invited to speak. Your office said you would, assuming the Senate was not conducting a session on Thursday afternoon. The Senate did not have a session and you took off for Vermont leaving a large audience awaiting you without any explanation. I sent you a letter requesting an explanation for not showing up to relay back to the disappointed people who were in attendance. You chose not to reply.

You’ll remember that I met with you before and during your tenure as Mayor of Burlington, Vermont. That is how far back we go. I have touted your achievements in events around the country by way of encouraging people in those areas. How to explain your many proposed reforms in the Congress with an inability or unwillingness to network the numerous civic groups here with millions of members around the nation?

The simplest answer is that you are a Lone Ranger, unable even to form a core progressive force within the Senate (eg. Senator Sherrod Brown, Senator Elizabeth Warren, etc.). You surely understand that without internal and external networking, there are no strategies to deploy, beyond speechifying, putting forward amendments that go nowhere and an occasional hearing where you incisively question witnesses.

You do communicate in one way – repeatedly, intensely, and expressing alarm. Along with others deemed to be on the right mailing lists, I receive many of your fundraising letters to help Bernie get re-elected. Your letters are full of warnings about the right-wing, corporate interests out to defeat you – a shoo-in for re-election. Quick send a check to ward off the Huns. In the two years before your election, the letters flow with predictable regularity, recounting your record and the perils confronting your election. Once you are comfortably and predictably reelected, Bernie returns to the Lone Ranger mode.

It is comparatively telling to note how closely your Congressional adversaries work with their civic organizations and corporate-funded think tanks right down to daily visits and drafts of legislation and press releases. Think Heritage, Cato and many others.

We do not believe in that level of symbiosis. But having the kind of interactions as occurred when Senators Magnuson, Nelson, Ribicoff, Mondale, and Kennedy were leading the way should not be so routinely dismissed. In those years, our issues were decidedly facing uphill struggles before the intensity of advocacy with staff and Senators gained traction. The restoration of the minimum wage to 1968 levels, adjusted for inflation, ($10.80 per hour) would have achieved greater visibility much earlier were you to interact as Senator Kennedy did years ago. Your inaccessibility is not of recent vintage. From the first weeks of your tenure in the House of Representatives (1991), you appeared aloof – an impression not countered when you refused to take a stand with other Progressive House Democrats against an untimely Congressional pay increase about to be rammed through the House of Representatives.

I am sending this letter to some of our friends in Vermont to see if they have an explanation for your insularity, described above. Clearly, you’re all over Vermont when you go back there frequently. But Vermonters sent you to the Senate to maximize your impact there. The national civic community in the nation’s capital can provide much greater support if they can ever get in regular contact on major agendas with you and your staff.

Sure, you can give instances to the contrary. You’re not a complete loner. But consider the unfilled potential of a Senator with broad ranging corporate reform and enforcement proposals that need an ongoing constituency with chapters and supporters through the country. Day in and day out! At a minimum, they might help you get a sponsor or two for your singlepayer, full Medicare for all legislation, for example.

As the Romans used to say – tempus fugit!

Sincerely Yours, Ralph Nader

Let me remind you:

Your quoting Nader does help me position your posts.

3 Likes

What the hell. That’s a pretty damning plea from Nader there… is that for real? What gives?

I wouldn’t read too much into that letter. When Nader says that Sanders did not cooperate with progressives, he means with Nader. Not cooperating with Nader is not the same thing as not cooperating with others. For example, Nader mentions Brown, who famously did not endorse Sanders, but the same month Brown endorsed Clinton he also coauthored a bill with Sanders.

This cycle Nader has suggested Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Oprah Winfrey and even Donald Trump as his favored candidates for president. Nader has not been a serious person for a long time, if ever.

7 Likes

Also seems that Nader wasn’t happy that Sanders endorsed Clinton over him in 1996.

6 Likes

I can see how that statement would be confusing. I must have left off the rest for some reason.

I meant I usually leave elected positions that I can’t stand/don’t care about blank. I usually vote for President though. There just happen to be like 30 elected officials I have to vote for every election like members of school boards or insurance commissioners and other random positions that mean nothing to me.

I wish elections results would tally blank entries as None of The Above so my protest was a little more visible though.

OK, but then it becomes irrelevant to the thread at that point, since the point was specifically about people who don’t plan to vote for president.

1 Like

I think after her “putting coal miners out of work” comment, they are not too happy with her. It was a stupid thing for her to say, despite it being true and despite the context. Those jobs are going away and will continue to do so, but it sounded so lacking in empathy and completely tone deaf. These are people’s livelihoods she’s apparently dismissing. If the democrats want to get those voters back, they need to offer massive investment as these jobs start dissolve. [quote=“Humbabella, post:1682, topic:59394”]
that would be the best irony of my lifetime.
[/quote]

Yep! I’d love that shit!

3 Likes

(Edited to remove incorrect internet meme)

3 Likes

Well that’s embarrassing. What’s HIS catch phrase?

Fuck. (NSFW link)

We’re kinda off topic here, though. (Like that never happened before.)

1 Like

Yeah, that was the mayor.:wink:

May I suggest a replacement?

15 Likes

I don’t usually vote, but I tossed a ballot in for Bernie and Ron Wyden today because I knew @Kimmo would be mad if I didn’t.

I hope to hear about an Australian future we can believe in at some point :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Good job–the Oregonian just called it for Bernie :smiley:

7 Likes

At this point I’m hoping for some sort of unlikely shit like all Bernie’s Californian supporters have had this sooper sekrit plan all along to lie to the polls (lulling the Clinton campaign into a false sense of security so they get king-hit), meanwhile spreading the Bern as hard as they can.

4 Likes

Tell me about it… :anguished:

5 Likes

Honestly it’s been so long since Californians even got to participate in the nominee selection process that we’re all just happy to finally be invited.

(Also: Damn you, Iowa and New Hampshire and all you other early primary states who think you’re too good to let the other states hang out with the candidates.)

7 Likes

It involves Rupert Murdoch dropping dead of a massive stroke.

6 Likes

I’d be perfectly satisfied with a small stroke.

4 Likes