Why people keep watching the worst movie ever made

The same could be said about the movie’s poster.

I assume Wiseau was instrumental in designing the poster since it only shows his face.

1 Like

i’ll just drop this off…

2 Likes

Where’s the love for Mark Borchardt’s - Coven?

Hell, even watching the “making of” documentary, American Movie, was hilarious enough.

Friend/Musician: [pointing to a makeshift crucifix] This is definitely a sign of voodoo.

Mark Borchardt: Why is it a sign of voodoo?

Friend/Musician: It’s an unnatural cross, Mark!

Mark Borchardt: What, you think when Jesus was hanging there, he thought it was natural?

4 Likes

I love the Room. I’m a sucker for enthusiasm, even when its products are terrible, and one of the great charms of The Room is that even though the writing is bizarre some of the shots are actually interesting (by accident, maybe?) and the acting is sometimes pretty good (and sometimes pretty bad, and sometimes, as in the case of Wiseau, could only be judged on criteria invented by starfish aliens). It’s bad in a really, really interesting way.

3 Likes

This guy begs to differ…

4 Likes

Thank you! Thank you!!!

5 Likes

To paraphrase Dostoyevsky: Good movies are all alike in their goodness, but bad movies are each bad in their own way.

7 Likes

My vote for actual worst movie is “I accidentally domed your son” which I somehow could not turn off. As bad as you think it is, wait for the scene where they dress up as old people. Why won’t it stop?!

I’m just gearing up to rewatch ‘Skullduggery’, which I used to rent every weekend back in the day. I was determined to figure out what was going on. We used to quip that you were getting three movies for the price of one, as the continuity left something to be desired. D&D scare film for the win!

1 Like

But you sat through it. I left the theater after 15 minutes of “Are we there yet?”

Myself, I think CHUD and Killer Clowns from Outer Space are two of the worst films I’ve ever seen. I saw them pretty close to release when I was a lot younger. But as I understand it now, both are considered “Cult Classics”.
I may have to watch them again some time to find out why.

Of course, I also adore films that purposefully access the same sort of transgressiveness, but still end up being fantastic, like Society, or absolutely anything by good ol’ John Waters. Or Repo Man!

2 Likes

Check out “The Love Machine”, based on the Jacqueline Susann novel of the same name. The book is WAY better than the movie.

The other two films based on Jackie’s work are the seminal “Valley of the Dolls” - camp at its absolute BEST - and “Jacqueline Susann’s Once is Not Enough” - fun because of the cast, and actually rather close to the plot of the book - simply aren’t as bad. However, it does help to read the books first; they’re actually fun to read because the “real world” doesn’t intrude. Jackie wasn’t too concerned with Vietnam or protests or anything like that, jet-setter that she was, so she didn’t really include them in the books, except for OINE, and then it was very marginal.

You are very, very welcome!

1 Like

It was made watchable and enjoyable via an excellent Rifftrax commentary. Otherwise there’s no way I’d have bothered trying!

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s a vampire, but Tommy Wiseau is either functionally immortal or at least inhumanly long-lived. I have two photographs of him dated 1864 and Aug. 1867 that I found at a flea market in Warwick, NY, which I will not show to you.

1 Like

I remember one of the worst films I’d ever seen in the theater was Van Damme in Cyborg.
My friend dragged me to see it, which is funny because I always dragged him to stuff like Dances With Wolves.

Anyway, there were only 3 people in the theater, including us, and we were stoned.
The battle at the end was so ridiculous with the roaring - that I began to roar at the screen, my friend joining in. That definitely made a bad movie fun.

How does this tie in with him being D.B. Cooper?

1 Like

Fun fact, in French we have a word for “so bad it’s good movies” : nanar.
And a bad boring movie is just a “navet” (turnip).

10 Likes

Ok, I’m stunned. I never thought I would ever see another reference to the formative TV character of my early childhood in Kansas City, Mo. Whizzo had a daily show where children from all around the city would get a chance to appear on the show and interact with this crazy clown.

Some years later, I went to a rock and roll concert in my early 20’s, and Whizzo was onstage as the warm up act for Brewer and Shipley, or some other regional rock band. My best friend and I were moderately impaired, and greatly enjoying the silliness of it when Whizzo decided to do a giveaway based on ticket numbers, and my friend, stoned as he was, got called onstage with Whizzo.

Serious blast from the past…thanks.

4 Likes

Ah. You’re one of those.

2 Likes

It is not as bad as “Howard the Duck”.

1 Like