Why "reopening" the economy won't save the economy

I am associated with the automotive business. The scuttlebutt is that a cash for clunkers style program will be launched again like in 2008/2009. This time however, it is rumored to be worth $10,000,000,000 as opposed to $2,000,000,000.

Scientists are expendable while we wait on the White Dude with the Estranged Wife and Annoying Daughter to turn up…

10 Likes

Right, right - but what I’m saying is those spikes in infections are going to happen from a position where most people are already isolating. The vast majority of people aren’t wanting to expose themselves to the virus. The covidiots/Flu Klux Klan are absolutely tiny in number.

The huge problem we’re going to have is not people engaging in unnecessary travel and taking vacations, etc. but states opening up when the population doesn’t want to, as a way for Republican governments to avoid spending cash on their population, putting all the responsibility and costs on workers. (See: Georgia) So workers will be putting themselves in jeopardy, unwillingly, because they’ve been put in a position of “work (and get exposed to the virus) or starve.” Except they’ll probably do both, as the populace will still be in self-imposed lockdown as much as possible and not supporting non-essential businesses, and as a result the economy will be at a standstill (only now without state aid).

9 Likes

some artist needs to go around to these various venues and scatter some stacks of stuffed black bodybags

if I had nothing but time and money I’d go around to all the beaches in California and Florida and scatter bodybags everywhere

makes quite a statement, imagine your entire high school population gone from your town

I’m really not.

Mine included (it is how I’m dropping from 2 cars to one…unless I decide commute via bus is a bad idea when December rolls around, and that is assuming I am actually commuting).

Well, unless you will get real value out of it now (and I don’t think I would from a car), or if you are unsure if the deals will really be as good then (i.e. current deals are on new 2020 cars, but they more or less stopped making those, right? future deals will be on 3+ to 5+ year old cars).

Yeah, I mean I’m getting paid now, but who knows what will be happening to my employer in the coming months. I’m tightening most of my spending (except vet bills).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.