Why shoelaces become untied

Hoof. I know the type. Weird footwear must be the new weird hatwear, and just a symptom of a larger disease of dudes who have discovered that women their own age can see through their bullshit cries for female attention.

2 Likes

I feel like actually knowing will ruin what’s running through my mind right now

3 Likes

Lol. But no. Avid runner (and meat eater) who got into forefoot striking running form to alleviate knee pain…

4 Likes

i’ve been wearing vibram 5-finger shoes now for 4 years. when i put on my first pair the thought the ran through my head was “i feel like i’m barefoot but i can go to a restaurant!” my second thought was “damn! i need to get more of these because i’m wearing this fucking pair out if it’s the only one i’ve got.” i now own 6 pair and wear them to school on every jeans-day/spirit-day/dress-down-day i get.

4 Likes

May be that these guys wanted a better view of foot/toe position and all those pesky radiation exposure rules don’t let scientists bombard you with x-rays all day long.

4 Likes

Killjoy

2 Likes

Climbers who use square knots are all very young. Co-incidence? I think not.

Good advice and similar to the even more efficient game-changer I recently learned.

You just follow the standard procedure with the key step being running the lace behind the first loop instead of over as in frame 2 of your surgeon knot link. (Every frame after 5 is actually unnecessary.)

2 Likes

Yep, this is the one I’ve been using for about a year. Even brand new, slippery as hell, round nylon laces are no match for this one. I have not had to retie my shoelaces once while using it, and it always pulls neatly apart.

He’s even got an official YouTube tutorial for tying this knot. That helped some of my family members who were confused by the diagrams.

3 Likes

It’s not “Gummischwanzenstrumpf”?

4 Likes

From Ian’s Shoelace Site. Lots of creative ways to shorten too-long laces, make the most out of too-short laces, and do goofy decorative patterns.

Funny, just this morning I was thinking about knots for some reason as I was getting dressed; when it came time to tie my shoes my muscle memory for the Surgeon’s Knot I always use balked and I did it wrong a couple of times. Usually it’s completely automatic, but I guess having knots on my mind interrupted the flow.

2 Likes

it’s probably only me, but the direction of the loop is so deeply imprinted in my muscle memory that I am not able to relearn it

4 Likes

Won’t you need uneven loose lengths (more yellow than blue) to get this one symmetrical? I’m not sure I could handle that [eye twitch].

I too thought this was another United thread.

2 Likes

They’re really only designed for one penis each.

The plural would be Schwänze in any case, but as I say, not really within the envelope of recommended use

3 Likes

The Ian knot. Ever since I started using it about 5 years ago I have had exactly 1 instance when my shoes came untied. It’s the same shoe knot, just tied better. It’s even faster, but that isn’t a big deal. We’re talking 2 seconds vs 5. Seriously, it makes a tight balanced knot every time.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm

So to me, this study is just a study of why a badly tied knot unties under stresses. Next, study finds sky appears blue.

4 Likes

Its interesting to me that whoever taught me to tie my laces apparently taught me the reef knot.

1 Like

Or just tuck the knot under the forward laces and don’t worry what kind of knot you tied. It’ll stay tied.

4 Likes

Your shoes became united because some wag tied them together.

Oh wait. Nevermind.

5 Likes

Regionally, Germans prefer the term Lümmeltüten.

1 Like