How to tie the world’s fastest shoelace knot

[Read the post]

3 Likes

O. M. G. I bet that I could’ve saved a total of 7 minutes over the course of my 47 years if I had known this earlier. Revolutionary!

11 Likes

Most readers of this site are not trying to learn how to tie their shoes.

Things that I have rarely, if ever concerned myself with:

• the amount of time it takes me to tie my shoes
  • making sure that my shoelace knots are symmetrical
4 Likes

Jealousy aint pretty.

Save even more time by wearing loafers or crocs.

1 Like

I used that knot for a long time after learning it years ago from the brief video below. (I think I may still use it, but I don’t think about how I tie my shoes enough to be sure, and I’m not wearing shoes now so I can’t check.)

To get it right, I had to watch the video over and over so many times that his voice was burned into my memory.

1 Like

I also started using the “Ian Knot” after Cory blogged about it on this very site in 2006:

So did I! It’s how I taught my son how to tie his shoes.

To everyone who thinks, “This could save me minutes over the course of my lifetime,” it’s not about the total amount of time – it’s about those times when you’re late and everything is going wrong and taking way too long and you forgot to pack XYZ and why isn’t he in the car already and of course now is the time that the dog decides to get sick and WE ARE NOT ANSWERING THE PHONE, DO NOT PICK IT UP, DID I NOT JUST SAY… Those are the times you appreciate it. Oh, and your knots don’t unravel half the time and you never knew why (the first bit makes all the difference).

1 Like

Can I combine that with this?

Would be secure but not fast. If you want a fast and secure shoelace experience, you need to think outside the box.

6 Likes

The best thing to happen to me in 6th grade was Kangaroo shoes that used Velcro. But as long as we’re tying knots…

3 Likes

Those who would give up essential Security, to purchase a little temporary Speed, deserve neither Security nor Speed.

9 Likes

This is cool! but I almost never have to tie my shoes tighter than what is necessary for slipping them on and off like loafers. I go weeks without tying a knot. Why don’t more people do this? It’s not like my shoes fall off or cause blisters from rubbing. I walk, run, and bike with my shoes like this and it’s never an issue. This is pretty much what my kids do now as well.

2 Likes

To me this is about how mind blowing knots are.

Most of me never got into it, but really wanted it to be more awesome than it has been. Believing running shoe reviews and casual shoe fandom and h+ are fulminating a whelp against [cue laughter] the drudgery is a thing. Not everything can be about fashion week and fitting LiPo cells to wheelies.

Of course film and sound grip duty! One-handed version for all the cases (where you didn’t draw one of those clickwheel lacings) all at the http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/faq.htm et al.

I like the part where it’s so fast and easy that it takes a 3 minute video to explain.

2 Likes

Don’t tie your shoes faster; tie them better. If you use a proper surgeon’s knot, you’ll only have to tie your shoes once all day. Takes a hair longer than a regular knot but won’t work loose. Net savings!

That being said, I can see a faster method being of use to people who need to don and remove shoes several times a day.

1 Like

Are these really two separate knots, and not just two different ways of tying the same thing? Pull the loops of both out and they should reduce to simple square knots.

Hint: if it comes out as a “granny” knot, you could do better (assuming a square knot is better). Start the opposite of right-over-left (or left-over-right) and it’ll end up as a square knot with loops, and the loops will be parallel to the laces instead of perpendicular.

This also works for bow ties (or so I hear). You want to do the bunny ears method of tying so it looks nice, but you still have to get it like a square knot instead of granny. Unless you like the bow tie loops sticking up and down.

Along the lines of the surgeon’s knot, I’ll have to try looping/crossing the laces over twice if I have an unravelling problem.

Finally, the speed of tying this is nice if you’re trying to get out of the security line at the airport quickly, or if you’re contorted uncomfortably, such as trying to tie an apron.

1 Like

Perhaps some velcro would be in order.