Why Silicon Valley doomsday preppers love New Zealand

I remember that episode, vividly; dude ended up entombed alone in his own bunker because he wouldn’t venture out to see if there were any survivors who were not just scavenging. He died convinced the world had ended, when in reality it was just a small segment of the city he lived in.

3 Likes

“gentrification”

10 Likes

Me too. That is what popped into my head when Taniwha mentioned getting them underground.

1 Like

I was only like 8 or 9 when that episode aired, but I never forgot it.

2 Likes

oh yeah, good point

1 Like

During Hurricane Irene (2011), my block got flooded, 4’ of water came up from the sewers into my basement. Since its impact was relatively small and the time of year was still warm, FEMA was very useful in getting people back up to speed.

The next year when Hurricane Sandy was coming, the entire block already had a relief committee in place with people ready to volunteer use of generators, spare batteries, gasoline, propane and charcoal cooking devices… We were relatively untouched by it and one of the few places in Central NJ with power and available gasoline. It ended up as a big block party/cookout.

I guess it was “anti-prepping” since the point was cooperative assistance and sharing resources.

4 Likes

Otherwise known as “functional government”…

6 Likes

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/man-emerges-from-bunker-14-years-after-y2k-scare-1.2463899

4 Likes

Also a functional community with sane people.

5 Likes

i.e. the way our species and our predecessors have survived everything that has happened to date.

5 Likes

Well, if his bunker lasted him for 14 years I guess he was prepared quite well.

4 Likes

“No man is an island…” not even if you own one.

6 Likes

that’s a satire show — not that we could tell the difference any more

4 Likes

maybe its just me . i mean, I’m not super rich, therefore I must not be so smart…
but? assuming it hits the fan QUICKLY
how do you get from Silicon Valley to New Zealand?

I’m pretty certain I won’t even be able to get my vehicle across HWY 152 to the rest of the country if CA starts falling into the Pacific.

How are these super elite gonna get to their planes, which will then fly them ~ 20+ hours to a small island?
again, I am not super rich, what do I know…

I used to have a pal who was somewhat the wannabe “prepper” - he had generator, fuel, food, water… and I asked him, what firearms was he going to use for defense.

none - guns kill more. blah blah blah…

Great when it hits the fan? I’m coming to YOUR house and taking YOUR stuff with MY firearms

this troubled him so greatly, he took a course, bought a shotgun, and was proudly telling me all about it.

“show me the shotgun”
out to the parking lot, trunk of the car, here.>

I picked it up, performed my firearm safety ritual, make sure its unloaded and the chamber is empty, then said “thanks! now I have a shotgun AND I know where your stuff is”

He was so irritated. Of course, I returned said unloaded shotgun, then we talked about how it is what you KNOW, not what you HAVE.

few weeks later he sold off most of that crap, and had a lovely vacation in Baja.

If it really hits-the-fan? there is not much you can do but band together with your neighbors, and try your hardest to make life better.

I hope all the NZ investors buy lovely vacation homes with NO view! and NO infinity pools

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I grew up in that whole survivalist mindset. After being spectator to some notable life failures and talking to actual survivors of social upheaval (re: walking from Vietnam across Cambodia to get to a Thai refugee camp) I learned the key to survival in chaos: Be nice, have a sense of humor, help others. Having someone smuggle you across a border in the trunk of a car or let you live in their attic for 4 years only happens if you aren’t an asshole. Isolated jerks with a known stash of gold and guns get devoured by the mob first.

10 Likes

I thought it was Australia:

But seriously, isn’t New Zealand the place with all the zombie sheep?

4 Likes

No. <sigh>

That’s here.

6 Likes

So instead of trying to be Immortan Joe, this guy is your better role model for surviving the worst:

11 Likes

eh, the volcanoes aren’t that small. But, honestly, the earthquakes are more of a pressing concern.

From the OP:

lovely climate

Wait - which NZ are we talking about now?

4 Likes
2 Likes