Why Suzi Quatro is one of the coolest American rock stars you probably don’t know much about

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/20/why-suzi-quatro-is-one-of-the.html

7 Likes

Paging Dr. @Mindysan33

10 Likes

Yeah, um, no. Bought her album when I was 15 or 16 after friends played her music for me, definitely more than a few years before her appearance on Happy Days. Had to take a bus into Boston from the burbs to find it, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA these same friends also introduced me to the New York City Dolls.

12 Likes

Hmmm… I was barely around for her time in the spotlight, but I remember this one:

Never heard this one on the radio, but it’s better:

11 Likes

You’d better go stumblin’ in somewhere else with those unfounded assumptions, there buddy…

Dammit, ninja’d by @ChuckV!

11 Likes

I’m sure I remember seeing her on Countdown, back in the day.

Checking wikipedia, these songs ping the memory banks: Can the Can, Devilgate Drive, 48 Crash, Rollin’ stone

8 Likes

I was born and raised in The Motor City but left for the Bay Area in 89. Love to hear those Detroit accents in the promo. Reminds me of my mother.

6 Likes

Know her? Hell - I dated her.

16 Likes

You lucky dawg.

11 Likes

I kid. The presumption of ignorance grated.

16 Likes

Unforgettable performing “He’s a Sports PA” in an underground BBC staff Christmas tape.

I can’t post a link, but you can find it on YouTube.

3 Likes

Anyone recall the all women group named Fanny, early 1970’s ('71?)? Filipino American sisters fronted this band. They wrote their music, sang, played their own instruments

“They were one of the finest fucking rock bands of their time,” David Bowie told Rolling Stone of Fanny in 1999. “They were extraordinary: They wrote everything, they played like motherfuckers, they were just colossal and wonderful, and nobody’s ever mentioned them. They’re as important as anybody else who’s ever been, ever; it just wasn’t their time.”

15 Likes

Absolutely, it did.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/67507645.jpg

12 Likes

I know them a bit. Pretty cool, although I don’t rank them as high as Bowie did, but maybe they were simply better live than in the studio.

2 Likes

Yes, and we remember Ace of Cups who were there in San Francisco in them"5)ummer of Love (and mentioned here a few years ago, also with a line about “nobody remembers them”).

4 Likes

Fun bit of trivia: Suzi Quatro’s niece is Sherilyn Fenn a.k.a Audrey the teen sexpot from Twin Peaks.

12 Likes

Being a Detroiter, I’m hip to the entire Quatro clan. Suzi is a Goddess. Her nephew Mickey came to my housewarming party in '84. Mom told me Suzi’s brother Michael (another musician, and Mickey’s dad) used to go out gallavanting in a floor length black velvet cape w/red satin lining.

9 Likes

As a Brit of a certain age, I grew up with Suzi Q. Those Chapman/Chinn penned hits were a staple in the charts when I was a teenager. I finally saw her live at the Reading Rock Festival in 1983, and although by then I was into the progressive rock bands that dominated that year and considered her music too poppy for my ‘educated’ taste (sigh) she was still as cool as ever, a true rock goddess.

I subsequently grew out of growing out of music and am happy to have most of her 70s albums in my collection.

10 Likes

I hope she has better taste in books now than she had in 1986

You are going to be on stranded on an island for the rest of your life, you are allowed one book and you chose Atlas Shrugged? I hope you were thinking of a lack of toilet paper.

11 Likes

Mention her name to a

their eyes will glaze as the memories flood back.

5 Likes