Why Suzi Quatro is one of the coolest American rock stars you probably don’t know much about

She was huge in Australia from the start. I remember going to primary school aged 8 wearing flared jeans and 2" platform shoes singing along to the song Friday with the chorus "What’s she doing. Who’s she screwing " (snigger) in the play ground. Glycerine Queen was a favorite, has a T Rex vibe. Also 48 crash!

She was huge in Australia and to this day never realised she wasn’t big in the states. The show Countdown here was very influential and she was on a number of times. The show was the first in the world to feature music video clips and subsequently quite a few international acts achieved their first number one singles in Australia - Madonna, Abba, Cyndi Lauper, Meat Loaf…

7 Likes

The first album I ever bought.

8 Likes

Suzi Quatro was huge in Australia when I was a kid - and my 17 year old daughter totally gets her. Obscure is not the word I’d use. Did she not strike it big in America?

9 Likes

I work with a guy from Arkansas who only knew her from her part in “Happy Days”, but I’d put that down to him being ten years younger than me.

5 Likes

I always thought “Leather Tuscadero” was way to comfortable in all that leather to be a 1950’s character type. The only women dressed like that back in the 50’s/60’s would be carrying a whip, smoking a cigarette, and leading someone around on a leash. I don’t think that type of behavior was ever allowed in Arnold’s.

5 Likes

Yup. I had a massive crush on her as a youngster.

4 Likes

Very much so. As @KathyPartdeux said:

3 Likes

lol I am guessing that is USA chart show not the Channel 4 count down i am thinking off…

4 Likes

Australian music show from the 70’s

6 Likes

Next up: Who the fuck is Joan Jett?

giphy-6

14 Likes

Why is Stephen Fry looming menacing through the windscreen?

5 Likes

6 Likes

No, and it’s crazy to me. Great bands like Mott the Hoople, Thin Lizzy, and Sensational Alex Harvey band I can see never fully making their way to these shores, but she’s FROM HERE. I need to watch this and hear her story.

4 Likes

Yeah, being a child of the Seventies in the UK, I knew Suzi Q for being Suzi Q, and had no idea she was in Happy Days.

Although my kid’s brain was frequently likely to confuse her with the Tiswas goddess of Saturday morning TV, Sally James.

6 Likes

She was huge over here in the UK.

3 Likes

Damn, I never realized that was her singing duet on Stumblin’ In. Such a different take than most of her stuff.

4 Likes

She was Leather Tuscadero in Happy Days, right? /s

1 Like

One of the greatest garage rock bangers of all time, legendary:

5 Likes

Sally James…

She’s touting for a place on the next Strictly you know?

4 Likes

I was thinking “The Runaways” who were kind of contemporary with Suzi Quatto.

2 Likes