Why Suzi Quatro is one of the coolest American rock stars you probably don’t know much about

Dale Hawkins heard of her in 1957.

But who has heard of Ina Ray Hutton and her all-girl* orchestra?

*I know, I know.

4 Likes

Her hits were mainly in the UK. It was ALL OVER radio here for a long time.

3 Likes

Sally James. Sigh. I had the good luck to be present at one Saturday’s broadcast of TISWAS (I was about 20 at the time and there in a professional capacity, not one of the kids).

2 Likes

wonder what rachel riley would say :slight_smile:

that really got got me back then… in fact you don’t often see double gates do you and with drives…

2 Likes

And Luke’s inconsistently obnoxious baby mama from Gilmore Girls!

Excellent!

Also, I was glad to see the OP felt it necessary to explain Happy Days, I hope that means it’s fading from all memory forever. I’m still mad that my older brother would change the channel while I was watching Doctor Who so he could watch Happy Days reruns.

1 Like

This was before my time and not necessarily the genre I prefer. But I am now intrigued, I would like to learn more.

Don’t know if you’ve noticed in all these years, but not all BB readers are American. Speaking only for the UK, SQ formed part of the sexual awakening of many a young lad. And also ahem her musical talents were much erm appreciated.

1 Like

1999? He was a bit late to the game. Old Grey Whistle Test went off the air in 1988.

1 Like

racy and sexy

3 Likes

Genius, and so very, very Detroit!

As others have mentioned, she was big in the UK in the '70s - I was only about 6 when Devil Gate Drive came out and I still recall it being cool.

Then imagine my amazement last year - was in Riga for their beer festival in May, ended up down at the seaside in Jurmala where they have a music festival - and look who was playing!

The audio doesn’t really do it justice, she was sounding great and the crowd were loving it :guitar::guitar::guitar:

1 Like

But it was Suzie’s sister Patti Quatro who played with Fanny.

1 Like

But for a fuzz pedal and some mix, they made Black Sabbath Lost Tapes just fine. Just needed a pulled tea nut in there, someone to stumble on stage covered in sasparilla leaves.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget “Joy of Cooking”, which wasn’t all-female but was fronted by two womem. Kind of overlapped with Fanny’s period of existence.

“Leather Tuscadero” was Pinky’s yiunger sister on “Happy Days”.

johnny-carson-did-not-know-that

trotsky-ayn-rand-fascist-free-zone

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.