Why the online campaign to unfollow FuckJerry didn't work

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/why-the-online-campaign-to-unf.html

2 Likes

Am I the only person who never heard of these people prior to the Netflix/Hulu Fyre documentaries? But maybe as a GenXer I’m just not their target audience.

19 Likes

Yeah, maybe it is a Gen-X thing (Is being a “thing” still a “thing”?), I’m feel that I am beyond their sphere of Influence. It is all Contrapoint and PhilosophyTube for me.

7 Likes

Also maybe didn’t work because 13 million of his 14.3 million followers are bots anyway?

14 Likes
2 Likes

They’ve bought bots to harass the leaders of the protest too. Megh Wright’s posts are all full of nasty comments from accounts that sprung up in the last few weeks.

6 Likes

Because most people don’t care.

10 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I would have unfollowed fuckjerry except I had no idea who there were until all this stuff happened.

5 Likes

It’s this account, right?

Looks to me like they are giving credit now. Guess I’ll put my pitchfork back in its case.

2 Likes

Are they splitting the ad revenue too?

6 Likes

me either.

1 Like

The problem with FuckJerry is not that they agregate memes without credit.

It’s that they create memes by taking material created by working writers, commedians, illustrators, and other creatives, and presenting it as their own.

It’s not that they don’t credit. It’s that they scrape content from others, remove credit, then present it as their own material and monetize. The classic examples are covering the signature/watermark on webcomics with a colored bar and meme text. And taking comedians tweets or lines from their sets and throwing them into a meme.

They’ve even gone after people who republish for not crediting FuckJerry as the creators, over material they stole from elsewhere. And IIRC the titular Jerry makes a habit of performing other comedians material in public.

The push to unfollow him was created and promoted by comedians and comedy writers.

16 Likes

Wouldn’t a lawsuit for copyright infringement be the route to take?

5 Likes

I guess that most meme generators are sole-traders, while fuckjerry is going to have some serious capital. What’s that old saw about the American Legal system existing to prove who can afford the best lawyers?

6 Likes

For the stuff that’s provable/copywritable I believe there’s been a few, hence the credits on some of it. Especially on the web comics.

But the comedy scene isn’t really in that position. The specific wording of jokes is often copywritable, you’d probably have trouble filing over a tweet. And when you are talking about something that may have been performed but not recorded you got a problem with proving things. So jokes sort of sit in this weird not really copywritable space and the comedy scene is agressive on pushing back as result.

2 Likes

#FuckFuckFuckJerry

1 Like

Oh ferchrisakes. I’ve already put my pitchfork back in the attic and I’m not going to get it down.

They don’t split ad revenue but at the same time they don’t publish without consent of the original creator. It’s basically the same model as BoingBoing.

3 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

#fuckboingboing :rofl:

2 Likes

Get your smart pitchfork from the Boing Boing store now! (While supplies last!!!)

5 Likes