Why the U.S. government decides the color of our food

Originally published at: Why the U.S. government decides the color of our food | Boing Boing

2 Likes

i noticed that hot dogs in buffalo, new york were different from what i get in texas. oscar meyer beef franks, as a matter of fact. the ones i get in texas are much deeper and pinker than the ones there. is it possible some of this is due to regional variation in desired color?

4 Likes

Anyone remember red pistachios?

8 Likes

I remember my finger turning bright red when I ate them, and staining my clothes. Do not miss that one bit. The khaki ones are just fine.

10 Likes

You’re probably right about regional variation. I wonder if it could also be due to state regulations on the amount of added color. Some states are way more big business friendly (TX) and let them get away with anything for increased sales.

5 Likes

8 Likes

I tried desperately to find such a gif earlier.

Well done sir!

5 Likes

Hey, you know how hard it is to find a theater showing Naked Gun in a pandemic so I could film the screen!?!

12 Likes

It may also be tolerances and variations between factories. One example, flour can vary between regions of the US. That link talks about brands differing, but I’ve heard about nation-wide varying with the same brand, too.

Sticks of butter are different shapes on each coast because the west coast didn’t start using sticks until much later and used newer equipment.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, white hots are popular in W NY. I used to eat those regularly. White hot - Wikipedia

1 Like

That’s really interesting. Not a fan of the red ones. I remember not liking them as a kid. Love them now, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.