Why Trump's naked corruption is less interesting than conspiracy theories about Clinton

Sophistry. I expounded on your first clame prior to explaining the dogma. We’ll have to agree to disagree. Thanks :wink: , you too.

I’d have thought the phrase “false equivalence” would carry more currency here. The admittedly questionable things Clinton has been accused of have been outright eclipsed, and in spades, by the things Trump has publically bragged about.

The reason that Trump corruption is less interesting is because he owns up to it, in his own shitheaded way. His supporters don’t care. Clinton’s corruption is much more nebulous and “unresolved,” which gives her opponents endless opportunities to “but what if…” Which is a much funner game to play than responding “yeah, and?”

You can’t absolutely conclusively prove that Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone, made some pretty fucking spectacular shots. So the JFK assassination remains “mysterious.”

You’ll notice that there aren’t many conspiracy theories regarding John Hinckley Jr. or Squeaky Fromme or Gavrilo Princip.

5 Likes

You know, come to think of it, if WW3 had been started by Squeaky Fromme shooting Gerry Ford… I would have been okay with that, in a dramatically hilarious manner. What a way to go! If you’re gonna destroy the planet, do it like the Muppets or Mel Brooks woulda. Much better than some stoic standoff between humourless dickheads. Make it a crazy circus and nobody would be too bummed out.

You know you’re crazy when you try to assassinate Gerald Ford. What difference was that going to make then? I imagine the Kremlin like the end of Burn After Reading. “Why do we care about this?”

1 Like

My take on this election is you get a choice of which lies you want to hear. Is it Clinton saying that “we will never put boots on the ground in Iraq again” which to her means within the next 8 years, or Trump saying “Isis wouldn’t exist if we just took their oil”, as if we could just hoover it all up and be done with the region, and hold it somewhere, and, you know, not piss the natives off.

Good point.

If Hillary handled it like Trump, she’d say. “Hell yes, Bill and I took millions from Wall Street to give speeches. And hell yes, Chelsea was paid six hundred large by NBC to do nothing in particular. That’s the way you get ahead in America today. Now, let’s talk seriously about how we can change that system.”

If she showed that sort of candor, I’d be more inclined to support her. Instead it’s the usual cheesy tap-dancing.

2 Likes

More like “Hell yes, we took millions from Wall Street to give speeches just like every other ex-president in modern history. How many have openly bribed legal officials to drop cases? Shit, if we knew that was an option none a y’all would ever heard the name Ken Starr.”

9 Likes

I’m now chortling at the mental image of this. Top hat, walking stick, tuxedo jacket, leopard-print leotard…

(Hey, you mentioned it…)

2 Likes

Hey, if a politician actually started literally tap dancing when engaged in fast-talk, Billy Flynn style, that would make me seriously consider voting for them.

2 Likes

Just so long as no one posts an image. You will share the blame.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.