Why Trump's taxes matter so much

Um, that’s a lovely theory and I’d love to believe it but there was already plenty of evidence then that Trump is an obvious conman who makes loses his money by losing other people’s money.

It didn’t notably bother his voters then and I doubt this would have changed anything.

All of this. The true Trump cultists are likely unpersuadable, yes, but there aren’t nearly enough of them to win on their votes alone. Even staunch Republicans aren’t enough for that. Trump needs votes from the undecideds and the independents, and he’s been doing a good job alienating them with his awfulness. These new revelations just make his task even harder.

No. It doesn’t matter. At all. Not where it counts.

1 Like

I don’t agree that measuring this by the Trump base is what counts. There likely isn’t anything that Trump could do or say that would sway them at this point—it’s how cults work.

BUT, one party can use this to motivate its own base and fundraise, and it isn’t the GOP. It definitely isn’t some game-changer on its own, because, c’mon, NOTHING is anymore, but we shouldn’t lose sight that this is good for Democrats and bad for the GOP.

4 Likes

I must have missed where Trump cheated on his taxes. That being the word used in about half of the comments. If he’s a bad businessman who’s losing money, why would he pay taxes on it?

Maybe the solution is to listen to the conservatives and implement a flat tax. Defund the IRS!

It matters this much,

1 Like

Given his bankruptcies and tho amount of money he owes, his tax returns show him to be a loser as a businessman. Not the image he wants to project.

2 Likes

i put this in the other trump tax thread but since you seemed to have missed it–

edited to attribute my original placement of this twitter thread to the right thread here.

7 Likes

“He might be an idiot, but he’s our idiot.”

It really doesn’t take a great deal of smarts to hire a bunch of accountants. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

By now, partisanship is baked into American DNA and there are fewer and fewer swing voters to persuade. The problem is that America doesn’t have options. The solution is a multi-party system, but good luck with that.

1 Like

I hear you and you know full well that I want the same thing. I am not confidant the voters outside of the aggravating-as-always-united-GOP will be able to do what is necessary to make this happen. The right can twist themselves into all sorts of pretzels to justify getting out and voting for this lunatic…can anyone to the left of those assholes do the same?

Multiple polls are showing lackluster support for Biden in various specific groups. Will they show up and vote for him? Did they turn out for Clinton?

1 Like

There is definitely a lot of regulatory capture going on there, with the tax accounting industry dictating the complexity and difficulty of tax filing, and doing everything they can to hide the free filing they are required by law to provide.

So is there any organized tax strike going on here? Can I file an amended return and claim 70k in teeth whitening? Or just kindly ask for a few million? Truly, if we accept that this is okay for him then it must be okay for all of us.

2 Likes

I think you may have missed the bit about Trump currently being under audit and being in (apparently) real danger of having to pay over $100 MILLION dollars because he wrongfully claimed and received a refund. Now, I don’t don’t know about you, but I consider wrongfully claiming and receiving tens of millions of dollars of refunds from the government to be “cheating” in the truest sense.

But even aside from that, I think “cheat” is entirely appropriate when one’s business strategy (and entire strategy in life) is to force others to pay the bills he racks up while continuing to scam every facet of society.

Also, if Elizabeth Warren thinks that “cheater” fits the bill, I’m not going to argue with the lady:

5 Likes

Turnout still matters, and there are always people wavering in the middle. Trump won in 2016 by 70,000 votes spread across three states. Empty cynicism doesn’t move votes.

1 Like

This is my favorite from that thread, and I’ve seen it in one other, but not called out in most reporting.

The breakdown is the business makes no money because it has all these expense spending on stuff that’s clearly not part of the business but just funding Trump’s lifestyle. For the business that’s a hard argument to justify as real business expenses. But, let’s pretend that all of that spending can be justified through some crazy description. That should make all of that spending compensation that he needs to claim as income. I thought there was some threshold where non monetary compensation became large enough that it has to be treated as income by the recipient.

Otherwise, we’re all doing this wrong. I shouldn’t work for someone, they can hire my company Me Inc LLC for the same as my current salary. Me Inc can fund my lifestyle as a business expense to offset the income from services provided. Since Me Inc is selling services provided by me, clearly it wants me to be happy, sounds like a valid expense. Net Profit for Me Inc is 0. Salary paid to me from Me Inc will be minimum wage, probably tipped worker minimum wage. That should eliminate my income tax burden, and Me Inc also made no profit.

10 Likes

good point. he might not even care so much that we know about his taxes so much as the banks and his creditors

2 Likes

Welcome to the Gig economy. You too can work for nothing while the owner avoids paying taxes for your “contribution” to his profits

This practice should be illegal and banned, but it’s in the interests of companies and wealthy individuals to encourage this practice and to prevent the creation of a robust tax base.

3 Likes

Defunding the IRS just results in more disparity. People who work for a living have their salary reported to the IRS automatically. People like Trump, who supposedly run businesses, get to self report how much money they make, so they have every opportunity to cheat, even under a flat tax because even a flat tax is based off of a percentage of what you claim to be earning. So defunding the IRS won’t make taxes fair to the little guy, it will make the IRS (more) unable to make rich people report their actual earnings and pay taxes on them.

As to Donald Trump cheating, you must not have read the entire New York times article. they note a number of illegal schemes, including buying a gigantic mansion and claiming the cost as a deduction and the mansion as a money making commercial enterprise, when in fact they used it as a personal residence. And then there was paying Ivanka three-quarters of a million dollars as an independent contractor consultant for doing what she was already paid to do as an employee. She’s either one or the other she can’t be both legally. There was lots of tax fraud reported by the New York times, you just weren’t looking for it.

5 Likes