Wilco keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen's first ever band was called Lizard Music. After 25 years, they're back.

Originally published at: Wilco keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen's first ever band was called Lizard Music. After 25 years, they're back. | Boing Boing

1 Like

Lizard Music, novella, c1978, by Daniel Manus Pinkwater was one of the first a chapter books I got to read/listen by myself via the Library of Congress recorded books for with “print disabilities”. I still remember plot points involving chickens, lizards with rocks on their wrists, islands, and rafts. It was a game changer for how I enjoyed fiction, as before Lizard Music, Yobgorgle, and Fat Me From Mars I had only had access to adult level books and some of those were not enjoyable- but I finished them.

I wonder if there is a connection between that title and this band? In any case, I have some music to explore.

See also on BoingBoing: Daniel Pinkwater’s brilliant, hilarious, life-changing books as $3 ebooks (2014 04 14), Profile of Daniel Pinkwater, “Pynchon for kids” (2014 10 06), How Daniel Pinkwater writes a blurb (2015 04 29), etc

5 Likes

Holy carp, I’m excited! I discovered this group on a World Dom promo mixtape(!) along with Low Pop Suicide and Sky Cries Mary–man, there were a lot of underrated bands on that small label! Somehow I managed to find a copy of Fashionably Lame at a used CD store (pre-Napster) when going to college in Pittsburgh, and I have been hooked ever since. Their music is fun, quirky, and super creative, even if they sometimes struggled to figure out how to end a song. I can’t wait to take another sonic journey with these guys!

Thanks for posting this, and yes I created an account just to post this.

7 Likes

Pinkwater is an American literary treasure.

3 Likes

Yes, according to the record label, the band name came from the book.

2 Likes

Talk about unexpected! Their “Fashionably Lame” LP was the first (and to this date, the only) album I bought due to a review in the UTNE Reader (!). The review mentioned that Steve Albini recorded it, and listed musical references to Gershwin and the Beach Boys, and so I was intrigued. The mid-90s internet was spotty in terms of info on these guys. World Domination’s website wasn’t working the few times I checked. A welcome return! Can’t wait to digest the new one.

Also, here’s a video from that album that I stumbled across a while back:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.