Wild design for incredible infinity pool that takes up entire roof of skyscraper

OH! A Legionnaire’s pool!

15 Likes

So how the hell do you get in and out of this thing? Ladder down the side of the building? Double door hatch in the bottom? Pick up and drop off by helicopter?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hum, bad photoshopped-cgi-whatever illustration. Ever heard of refraction? The man’s upper and lower body parts shouldn’t be aligned

7 Likes

Supposedly…

Though it will probably never get built, at least not as is.

As for me, replace the submersible stairwell with Redditor Darth_Bman’s Super Happy Fun Pipe and we’ll talk turkey.

15 Likes

Now I’m imagining soggy millionaires returning from the pool and walker wet footprints and leaving puddles all through the building. :smiley:

5 Likes

Meanwhile, in the penthouse…

10 Likes

According to the video, the plan is to have a first responded in the pool at all times when in use. Because if you’re planing something ludicrously expensive that will probably never get built anyway, might as well literally go for broke.

8 Likes

This will be way different when it is built, if it is ever built at all. We all know it. Design ideas are cheap.

The skylight will be much smaller, if it exists at all. The infinity walls may be kept (because it’s cool), but they won’t be made out of acrylic, probably black marble and concrete. If they keep the spiral stairway it will be fixed and exit onto an “island” with steps or something into the pool.

3 Likes

The engineer in me cringes at all the failure modes, maintenance headaches, etc. For example, he talks about railings and railing regulations but seems to forget about buoyancy. Buoyancy means someone standing next to the wall will have their center of buoyancy above the wall.

Give up on some of the purity of the design, and it becomes workable. Make it as passive as possible. Just have permanent stairs coming up out of a tube with it’s lip just below water level (water flows down the inside of the hole, just like the pool). Put nets about 40 feet down to collect the various trash and idiots that wash over the edge.

And so on.

If the passive nets are too much of an eyesore, infrared barriers (same as used with heavy industrial equipment) connected to rapid response netting would be a (somewhat more risky) option.

6 Likes

Am I the only person that actually thinks this is cool?

Mainly because of the magical hidden telescoping air locked spiral staircase raising up on demand to enter and exit.

I saw Tadao Ando’s water temple on Awaji island in 2006, and it has a normal staircase that is level with the top of a large concrete pool full of lotus flowers that descends through the water and there is a Buddhist temple underground.

Ever since then I thought it would be amazing to have something like that hidden on demand in a little lake in my backyard or something, that opens up like that spiral staircase in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, when they are fleeing the nazis and sit on the rocking chair, into a workshop, under the water.

Yes, i’m completely insane, but delightfully so

5 Likes

I think it’s cool, but I still can’t wrap my head around how it works.

1 Like

Combine point 1 with point 2 and you get…a pool for rich, basejumping people.

2 Likes

Can the so-called staircase door thingy be locked from below? Thereby causing the pool inhabitants to make a choice between eventual hypothermia or a long fall with a short stop.

2 Likes

Borgnar!!!

10 Likes

“I don’t know about you, but I’m gonna be pretty upset if I end up having to murder Kenny Loggins”

7 Likes

Maybe that guy with the lawn chair in the building next door can take pot shots with a pellet gun. Over time enough shots in the same spot could lead to a big downhill ride on splash mountain.

1 Like

The first pool is below the other pool, and why check swimming skills at all? If they can’t keep falling off cast acrylic, they won’t make it into the lobby. No, your tests are a nice heartbeat recognition camera thing that decides if your demeanor will fall after a bit of happy hyper pool wiper (that is, all suits need to be adequately sized, and the nets 1 and 2 levels down may not be overwhelmed.)

I love this thing just for the active ballast system that’s going to decide whether the water profile would look like – or / or \ or X and in all cases but the first suck everything including swimmers (dunno how, you grab onto the handsome iron wolf spiders (and a plaque: To Call Stairwell: Declare you are stronger in ₯eth.) at the bottom of the pool I guess) down for the moment. 1 anemometer is entirely 1/87th adequate for this purpose. If you miss the grab, the voltage rise from the water at marginally more altitude probably doubles as a defibrillator.

Will it be good for the Rocs of London, must be our first question.
Is that a fancy gang, close second.

Clean the outside.

So now we’re from the horror film to the one where the whole thing is pulling focus on the condition of the acrylic for 3 hours! Fine.

3 Likes

Looks like the first pool where you can cannon ball OUT of the pool!

1 Like

ninety times four

1 Like