Wild design for incredible infinity pool that takes up entire roof of skyscraper

I’m leaving this here, enjoy.

2 Likes

People seem to be forgetting that it doesn’t matter if it’ll be used, property development in London is all about attracting investment.

I’m at work, sitting at my desk, looking out at a high rise block of flats that are all full of “show home” type furniture and in which I have never seen a human in the years since they were built. These are expensive investment properties directly opposite St Paul’s.

I can see a building with three wind turbines built into it out of the other window, I’ve only ever seen one of them turn, and not often.

Never underestimate the power of gimmick to sell these investment properties, regardless of whether the features ever work or get used.

7 Likes

So, a lifeguard? Hardly unusual for a swimming pool. Chuck in one of those automated defibrillators and job’s a good 'un.

3 Likes

If there’s no slide all the way to street level I’m really not up for it.

10 Likes

This will be wonderful for the thirty very rich people who are allowed to use it.

I wouldn’t have made it square though, as it’s going to be difficult to cram right up the designer’s arse.

1 Like

Each resident needs a slide from the pool, round the building and down into their apartment through one of their windows. Into the bath, probably.
Street-level entry should be restricted to the single elevator going up into the pool.
Saves on lobby space, hallway/landing space, and number of entry doors needed per apartment.

2 Likes

There’s probably a tax break if they re-designate it as a Theme Park too.

3 Likes

Residential theme parks, eh? Well, London as a whole is heading in that direction, I guess.

4 Likes

With one simple replacement I have made the entire idea make so much sense.

12 Likes

You pay for the coffee, you pay to use the bathroom; it’s a fluid economy.

4 Likes

This is the thing that makes me really terrified by the thought of swimming in that deathtrap.
Like, if you’re swimming along the surface of the water, your center of gravity is basically on the surface, which is to say level with the edges of a very long drop indeed.

2 Likes

I don’t know about you, but when I’m swimming my center of buoyancy is beneath the surface of the water, since I’m made mostly of water myself plus some heavier bits. I assume the water won’t be above the edge of the wall.

2 Likes

That submarine entry alone would be a big NOPE! for me. What if that thing fails and you are stuck up there? Then what, a helicopter rescue where you are twirling around in a basket above the skyscrapers of London? Dripping wet in a swimsuit or even naked? NO THANKS

Given that the thing has a glass bottom with a public area underneath anybody swimming naked would have to already be an exhibitionist.

In the event of elevator failure I think you will just have to wait it out in the pool while the repairman is called, and hope that the fix doesn’t require them to order a part from China.

Honestly, the whole flooded staircase thing does seem overly complex to me, especially since it will be slow (needing to pump water in and out of it will take time). A fixed staircase, although it would obstruct the 360 degree view of the skyline, would be much less worrisome design element. Just tuck it into the corner and make it out of clear acrylic.

2 Likes

Maybe the “submarine hatch” is at the top? That would keep the water out of the staircase. Raise the staircase, pop the hatch.

Honestly I’m having a hard time imagining how this would work

According to the video they raise the entire staircase column up to surface level and then pump out the water then unlock the waterproof door at the bottom that will allow access to the pool. Once everybody in the pool leaves and the new group is in there they lower the column back into the water and allow it to flood. I guess they don’t even really need pumps, just a valve and a big tube at the bottom to evacuate the water. They do need a very powerful lift system to push that staircase sized column of water up 4 feet to break the surface. And powerful pumps to refill the pool quickly when they lower it back down. I’m guessing it will lower 2-4 inches or so until it’s totally flooded, then drop the rest of the way while the pumps furiously try to keep the pool level from dropping too much.

Yes, it means access to the pool is in shifts, which just seems inconvenient to me. As for safety there’s a handwavy thing about AIs watching cameras for signs of people in distress, but I think the primary safety feature is that the pool is only 4 feet deep and not for kids.

2 Likes

This is the same video in which the designer of the system can’t spell or pronounce “anemometer”?

1 Like

Don’t worry, unpaid interns will handle the tricky details.

2 Likes

I might be able to function as the evaporative cooler for the building air conditioning system.

How much do you spend annually on anti-perspirant?

1 Like

On the plus side, if the building catches fire, the acrylic pool melts, dousing the fire with water. And swimmers.

3 Likes