Will 80s hairstyles make a resurgence?

Larry Fine.

“We saw some hookers on the street once, but when we got closer it was Mötley Crüe.” - James Hetfield.

+1 for the Go Gos - love them.

12 Likes

Yeah, and The Birthday Party.

Voted most likely to have the biggest hair.

til%20tuesday

6 Likes

The dog in a headband made me involuntarily lol. Thank you!

And as for the main question: please god, no. Fuck no. Please.

Living through '80s hairstyles in the 1980s was bad enough.

4 Likes

I have had all four of their hairstyles in the same day, if it’s windy enough

3 Likes

some people have all the luck (and the hair).

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but my fuchsia rattail is NOT making a return appearance.

3 Likes

Will 80s hairstyles make a resurgence?

It’s not a questions of if, but a question of when. Oh, and RADICAL!

Yeah, this reminds me of those days…

5 Likes

self preservation.

1 Like

In the early 2000’s (maybe 2005ish) my office mate came in to work on a Monday and was looking really down. I asked what was wrong. He said, a bar near his house had started a weekly 80’s night. Encouraged people to come in dressed in their favorite 80’s outfits and hair styles.

He and his wife were teens in the 80’s and super excited to dress up and get all nostalgic with other like minded folks. Their outfits were very average 80’s teens. So when they got there the bar was packed, with people in the 21-23 age range. Everyone was dressed in wildest exaggeration of what they thought they 80’s must have been like based on some old music videos.

Several kids told my co-worker it was too bad he and his wife didn’t know it was an 80’s night. That next week they should come back dressed up in 80’s style. That was the moment he realized he was old and had become the guy yelling at kids to get off his lawn. But he didn’t yell. They just smiled and went home early and felt melancholy.

10 Likes

oh I’m sure 80’s punk went out some time - maybe with a rich girl from the good part of town who decided that 80’s punk had something in them that made them better than all the Bifs and Dericks and Reginalds at her upper class school.

Heart looks like its been electrocuted while wearing an entire room of carpet trimmings. Wow. that is stupendously hideous style

It’s OK, just as long as you don’t let it turn into a Father Jack Hackett.

6 Likes

I raise you 1 maybe bigger and more ridiculous pompadour:

Never heard of the Leningrad Cowboys before. Pretty cool, it’s like a combination of these guys, the Misfits devillock hairstyle, and extreme mullet.

There’s a point to where cheesy and trashy goes beyond Joe Dirt level into the stratosphere and it somehow becomes cool. Leningrad Cowboys have achieved this

I’ll need to drink much more to get to that point.

“FECK OFF, CUP!”

5 Likes

I can’t watch your video, unavailable in my region.

If you don’t know them yet, you might enjoy the band Guitar Wolf (especially if you are a connoisseur of the Stooges’ Raw Power. I think they are awesome. Don’t listen with headphones on and volume up if you value your hearing.

And lastly, if you like them, there is this movie:
Wild-Zero-1999

3 Likes

This is what I think is strange. The far out stuff was absolutely a small minority of hairstyles. Still celebrities/tv/movies and all but more accurate for the average:

h330
Unknown-8
family-ties-cast-photo-nbc

I remember a girl moved to our dinky little town in junior high, big Yaz fan and had a new wave-y sort of hairstyle with a dyed streak and it seemed quite daring. Always admired how confidently she carried it because NO ONE else in the school had anything even close to that level of deviating from the norm (until high school when a couple punk mohawks cropped up).

5 Likes

Well, my 14 year old son is growing his hair out for a “Tears for Fears hairstyle”.