Will you miss the headphone jack?

Do they have a cable that is like a lightning male splitting to a 3.5 male and a lightning female, which you could then plus a power cable into?

2 Likes

My tomato knife does not need sharpening even if I decide to use it to cut a coconut in half to create artisinal headphone cans.
I should add that if one doesn’t frequently touch up their headphone jack with a belt sander, you are really missing out.

3 Likes

I’ll for sure miss it, but I am glad the last two sets of buds/IEMs I bought have replaceable cables, so I can go wireless with them if I choose to.

The 3.5mm jack is an elegant and simple piece of equipment that just plain works and works and works.

4 Likes

Guy here totally loves his, which cost him $65, but I haven’t tried any BLU products yet myself. Thinking about getting their 7" phablet.

2 Likes

As a somewhat regular Android/BT user (with my <a href=Earbuds>sooper fancy SkullCandy buds) I’m more concerned about the secure-ness of BT as a transmission vector for malice. I don’t think twice about using BT at the house or in the car, but when I’m on a crowded commuter train I can’t help but wonder what subset of those commuters is doing some personal pentesting against BT systems (among many others).

3 Likes

18 Likes

Bought a $80 BLU GSM phone and found it pretty crappy. Terrible cam and low ring volume. I don’t have top shelf standards, I love my Moto G.

2 Likes

I only buy cheap phones from China. Fuck having a contract or paying £500-600 for a handset. Having said that, I go for the fancy end of the market (£150+ :wink: ) I’ve always been perfectly happy with them, and most have lasted me 18 months to 2 years.

3 Likes

I recently got the bu hd r1. Yeah, the subsidized version. I don’t have high standards.

Confirmed: while they’re removing the 3.5 jack, they’re providing free adaptors. So any kind of headphones will work with the new iPhone 7: your old headphones, new Lightning headphones (also provided), wireless headphones.

New lightning powered earbuds have active noise cancellation, better phone capabilities.

And how do you charge the phone while using these?

I’m guessing that Apple’s assuming most people use headphones while not sitting and charging their phone. That said, since Lightning daisy-chains easily, I’m sure there’ll be a splitter out asap for that sort of circumstance.

Actually, I just thought of something…

Apple’s not even first to market with this. The Moto Z requires a USB C-to-1/8 jack adapter thingy.

Because reasons.

4 Likes

I love the future where my phone/mobile device replaces my wallet and keychain, and in turn I have to carry around an ungodly pocket full of dongle and adaptor pasta while awaiting the readiness of bionic implant direct interfaces.

12 Likes

Square and similar credit card swipe scanner users will miss a headphone jack quite a bit, I would think.

1 Like

With an adapter in the way, you can’t charge the device.

In my fevered imagination I’ve contrived a pass-through lightning (or USB C) adapter which would include an audio jack, permitting the device to be charged, but it just creates a different issue: it’s just one more thing to carry around / lose / break.

Here’s an interesting article about the broader use of the headphone jack that will be lost.

4 Likes

Yours is probably the most tractable explanation for why many won’t miss the headphone jack. I love my Grados and will never part with them, but I suspect—scratch that, I know—that I’m in the minority.

And here’s a kaboose to your train of thought: most smartphones these days aren’t able to drive a good pair of cans. Hence all the hoopla for headphone amps these days. Which just adds to your point: if you want the best from your Grados (or Sennheisers, or Beyerdynamics, etc), you’re looking at either lugging a lot of kit around or listening through your home amp.

3 Likes

Which could conceivably mean that someone could produce a really good headphone amp for the iphone 7.

1 Like

In-line, lightweight, and miraculously tiny—if they want them to sell. Historically, the selling point of Apple products is that they’ve been engineered to remove all the little frustrations and daily friction commonly associated with a given technology.

1 Like