Will you miss the headphone jack?

Something like this? Bit pricy, mind. And not very portable.

1 Like

I promise I only pentest for good, not lulz. Well, that’s my story anyways :innocent:

5 Likes

Sometimes I wonder how truly weird I am. I love big, expansive sound, but I’ve never had a problem hearing nuance in extremely quiet music. It’s 23 decibels in this room right now, I can hear my roomie practicing glissandos in a studio through three rooms… I have normal hearing loss, 17k and above is almost completely gone, but I don’t need big kit to enjoy music. Ironically I don’t mind most lossy compression either, it just sounds different.

I’ve also never, ever broken an audio cable. Yeah, I just tempted fate with that one :smiley:. I’ll probably have to rewire everything tomorrow.

5 Likes

This from El Reg about trying to get invited to the Apple event today is quite amusing.

2 Likes

Good songwriting will always pierce through even the muddiest, dullest speakers/headphones. The Magnetic Fields 2008 album Distortion is a prime example, having some of most burrowing earworms MF has ever recorded (‘California Girls’, ‘Drive on Driver’, and my favorite ‘The Nun’s Litany’).

I have no problem listening to this album through my smartphone’s speaker. The songs are already drenched in distortion (not just a clever name!) and the songs are sing-along-like-you’re-five wonderful so who cares?

Other music (I’m thinking Amon Tobin’s stunning 2011 album ISAM) has far more impact with a larger soundstage and dynamic range, but again—it’s mesmerizing stuff, so a decent pair of cans will sate the musical mind, too.

2 Likes

I love how, on various news sites, I keep seeing, “Who the heck does that?”

Me. I do that. So does the person raising the question. Personally, when I’m in the car and I’ve got my phone plugged into the aux jack, I like to charge the phone. Obviously you can get one of those cheap-ugly-but-decent Bluetooth devices to pipe your audio in, but that’s so stupid.

5 Likes

Apple is getting CarPlay on more and more vehicles. Presumably it will allow simultaneous charging and audio thru the Lightning connector (since that’s the whole point).

Koss PortaPros have a lifetime warranty. If anything (including the cord) breaks, Koss will repair or replace it for free. I’ve had occasion to test this.

1 Like

I still remember the first time I heard a perfectly mastered album (which I can’t remember the name of!!) through serious electrostatic speakers and two enormous mark Levinson mono amps. The stereo imaging was so mind blowing I still remember it almost twenty years later. I didn’t like the tunes, but that didn’t matter.

Of course the room had more to do with it than the equipment, and that’s the spensive part :smiley:

5 Likes

Ziptie the adapter to the end of your headphone cable. A bit of twisting to get it plugged into everything when you want to use it, but you won’t lose or misplace it.

Alternatively, wait a couple months and buy one of the inevitable headphones that comes with two plugs, one lighting and one 3.5 jack.

A lot of their recent acquisitions point to wireless charging being a big part of the next iPhone. I agree with others that their goal seems to be to cut cords whenever possible. [quote=“Glaurung, post:24, topic:84703”]
The other reason they gave for deleting the headphone jack was to make space inside the phone for other things.
[/quote]

Besides taking up internal space, the width of the headphone jack is currently what’s been dictating the thickness of the phone. If they want to go thinner or play more with form factors, getting rid of it and providing adaptors removes that barrier.

1 Like

I couldn’t get it to do anything. The car has it, and my phone has it, but they don’t link up much less do anything else.

All I know is that I’m super excited DRM can finally close this analog loophole and only allow properly licensed Apple products to be connected to play properly owned music.

7 Likes

I imagine I could technically do stuff with music via the phone with bluetooth but it is so much easier to just plug a thumb drive into the USB port and boom instant jukebox.

I’ve been plugging the phone into the USB port. I’m not actually sure what I’d gain from the Carplay… Pull up a map from the phone on the car’s screen?

Now that I’ve checked this website my Subaru is not even on there (only the 2017 Impreza), but I’m almost certain there was something about Carplay in the manual. Maybe they thought it would work later on?

1 Like

I need to get a bigger SD card for the phone mostly also I don’t have to remember to grab the phone when leaving the car as I would so do that as the port is hidden in the center arm rest/storage bin and don’t have to remember to plug it in every time as well.

1 Like

You are aware that the removal of the floppy drive generated as much teeth gnashing 20 years ago as the removal of the audio jack does today, aren’t you? And that that was labeled as a dick move back then as well?

Oh yeah, I was there.I even grumbled about it. You should have seen me when they switched to Intel. :expressionless:

The difference is that Apple didn’t own the largest CD drive manufacturer in the world, was not preventing anyone from creating a USB (Universal standard) Floppy drive, and that they didn’t get a cut from everyone who just wanted the actual functionality they had before.

Wireless push is great. I like wireless stuff, but I also like stuff when “it just works” (some famous guy said that), and this doesn’t. I can’t grab a 4 dollar set of earphones from a gas station if I forget mine, I can’t just use any of the innumerable nice ones I’ve purchased. Oh, wait, I can. I just need this extra cord for my walk around headphones, this extra cord for my aux line in my car, this extra cord for my nice over the ears. All at 9 bucks a pop. (Also it contains two! of the connectors with wires that Apple has shown they don’t make very well. )

If I get some wireless ones, I can be assured that they will be out of charge at some point, leaving me headphone-less. I don’t need more mental overhead that costs me more money so Jony Ive can make a video how he removed all extraneous features.

These guys either don’t live in the real world where the 1/8" plug is ubiquitous, or they do, and they want the whole pie, instead of the small fraction they get now.

Dick. Move.

8 Likes

Phil notably said it was “single use”. Which was wrong.

It didn’t take more than a day for Belkin to offer a fix for that situation.

3 Likes