William Barr, Nihilist: 'Everyone dies'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/31/william-barr-nihilist-ever.html

8 Likes

That more or less sums up McConnell, Trump, Pence, and all the rest; they’re all rich old men looking at death creeping up, and the notion of leaving a legacy or maintaining any sense of honor or capital is out the window. They’re in the “grab all the cash you can see” phase of their careers.

34 Likes

So he’s essentially saying, “fuck the next generation, I’m gonna be dead soon”. Nice. real nice.

41 Likes

I suppose in a way this is everyone thats taken a position within the Trump cabinet. "I’m getting mine, I don’t care about the consequences of what I’m actually doing. No remorse. I’m doing for me. Some other business heathens will pick me up after this anyway. But I may dead before that.’
As if we didnt figure this out already, but thanks for the confirmation.

11 Likes

Some people not soon enough.

18 Likes

The fact that facing the reality of death leads them to being shitty powermongers reveals their true character. They’re facing the same reality that leads other people to give away their wealth and try to do some good, even anonymously if they don’t care about their supposed legacy. These guys are going down and they’re taking everyone with them and they don’t care what you think afterwards. It’s a reputation suicide death cult.

28 Likes

I’m struggling with my Trump loving parents who have this same idea.

The peri-Baby Boomer generations is living on bad faith. And they are making a killing.

11 Likes

We all will die. But the question is: At what age? With what degree of [preventable] suffering?

Nancy Krieger

9 Likes

Well get on with it, then.

16 Likes

They’re some soul-less bastards, these Trump administration slimeballs.

It’s a strain that runs through the entire GOP:

George W. Bush, when asked by Bob Woodward “how is history likely to judge your Iraq war?” replied, “History, we don’t know. We’ll all be dead.” (Woodward Shares War Secrets, CBS News, 60 Minutes, April 18, 2004).

It’s no more than a 50-50 chance that any of these advocates of Randian selfishness care about the long-term well-being of their own kids.

22 Likes

Not sure if:

“I don’t believe immortality comes through having odes sung about you; instead I believe that immortality comes from saying you believe in Jesus no matter how the hell you act on Earth.”

Or if:

“I know that one day all of this will just turn off like a lightswitch for me, so I might as well spend my entire life a slave to my most childish emotions and needs.”

14 Likes

6 Likes

They only care about who it helps, who benefits, whether my side benefits or the other side benefits, everything is gauged by politics. And as I say that’s antithetical to the way the department runs and any attorney general in this period is going to end up losing a lot of political capital and I realize that and that’s one of the reasons that I ultimately was persuaded that I should take it on because I think at my stage in life, it really doesn’t make any difference.

He is actually posturing himself as being “neutral”??? And tops it off with enabling a criminal president “doesn’t make any difference”???

16 Likes

I was thinking of this guy.

9 Likes

Came to this thread looking for exactly these words :+1:

11 Likes

They only care about who it helps, who benefits, whether my side benefits or the other side benefits, everything is gauged by politics.

I’m always amazed when I hear one of them say something like this. If you immerse yourself in people who think that way, then of course every direction you look, you’ll see people who think that way. And then they stew in their own juices, spiraling out of control. But you have to look beyond your immediate circle, and see that you may be in a bubble of your own making. It’s the perfect example of projection. There really are a lot of people who think altruistically, who have ethics, and fairness in mind, who want to do the right thing. But these people are so wrapped up in their own insular group where everyone is f’d up, that they can’t even conceive that they are the exception not the rule.

7 Likes

As a committed atheist, about the only satisfaction I get when thinking about Hell is that there will be so many other assholes there that are suffering too. Those fuckers.

1 Like

“The banality of evil.”

The fact that he believes (or at least claims to believe) he’s doing the right thing, that he’s interpreting the law the way it’s intended and not as some boon to ruining democracy is the real problem I have here. It’s like the Scalia “originalist” argument that’s really just an excuse to fudge how the law is interpreted to benefit your own values.

15 Likes

Rule of Acquisition #235:
Duck; death is tall.

5 Likes

I feel like the just exposed the underlying philosophy of the “Christian” Right. Anyone who really believes in Hell would not act like they do, so post-mortem consequences be damned!

3 Likes