William Shatner is going to space on Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin rocket

I read somewhere that Shatner was the only surviving cast member from the original series who George Takei chose not to invite to his wedding. James Doohan wouldn’t even appear in any scenes with him by the end. The only one who seemed to get along with him was Nimoy, and he got along with everyone.

22 Likes

Even Nimoy lost his patience with Shatner now and then.

19 Likes
22 Likes

People always say that the world of Star Trek was a utopia, but was it really? Why did they constantly have to send heavily armed ships on supposedly “scientific” missions of discovery? Those were just cover for fighting the Klingons/Romulans/whomever the latest enemy was. I think the Federation and its Mirror Universe clone were closer than was presented – the Mirror Universe was just more honest about their motivation.

6 Likes

William Shatner is going to “space”

4 Likes

It was sweet that the TNG crew and cast were so protective of Wheaton. I also loved that Michael Dorn offered to kick Shatner’s ass for him. :smiley:

16 Likes

Yeah. That “I have your back” was probably the best thing to have told Wil, at least in my opinion.

9 Likes

Yeah, Wheaton is kind’a creepy too.

Yeah, weird nipples.

1 Like

Unscheduled pre-flight training:

3 Likes

I’ve always felt it was a lot closer to Starship Troopers than most people wanted to believe. You rarely saw colonized planets with good technology. A food replicator and some temporary housing was pretty standard. It seemed like a lot of the “settlers” were more or less subsistence farmers who got a few supplies and protection from the Federation. Sure the major alien homeworlds were fairly advanced, but it’s not like any average citizen got to take a trip to Vulcan. If you wanted your luxury space communism complete with personal quarters and holodeck time that pretty much means joining Star Fleet and excelling to make it on a top tier ship.

I’ve always liked Captain Kirk. It is just too bad William Shatner never really lived up to the persona for real.

7 Likes

does that turn trekkies into star war fandom… just saying

Considering the premise of the show that seems quite understandable.

4 Likes

His hammy preening mono-range acting and massive ego will not allow even 10g’s to do him in. (The first time I saw Judgment at Nuremberg, Shatner’s appearance spoiled things for me… so distracting: His facial expressions, line delivery, and body language screamed Capt. Kirk. He knows only one note.)

4 Likes

I can’t even remember which show the quote came from, but I do remember some character emphasizing how Enterprise’s mission was a fairly new one, and that Earth had barely even explored a tenth of their own neighboring territories. That’s a lot of space to cover.

6 Likes

He’s said before that being on that set with those folks really helped him and was a large part of the reason why he did not go off the rails like many of his contemporaries.

9 Likes

Before Star Trek, the overwhelming majority of film and broadcast science fiction portrayed aliens as BEM’s,
Bug Eyed Monsters. The idea that a Terran starship could include a “friendly” allied alien
(Spock), as well as an international/interracial multi gender crew, was the exception, at least in film and T.V. Yes I know that Klingons were a substitute for the Soviets in the original series, but a Federation of alien species was not general fare in broadcast media.
This was a vision of a democratic, ethical galactic future. Even the prime directive was an
attempt to break with the western world’s history of imperial colonialism.

It was a breath of fresh air, despite the often juvenile plot lines-

4 Likes
1 Like

Dude, did you just mansplain an internationally famous and record-breakingly succesful 60 year old TV and movie franchise?

11 Likes

Well, you know, not like people around here enjoy sci-fi or whatever… Star Trek is pretty obscure, too, after all… /s

10 Likes