William Shatner is going to space on Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin rocket

That’s logical.

10 Likes

I didn’t intend to “mansplain”; I apologize, as I thought it more a personal reminisce.
The best S.F. was still in book form in my college days when the series made it’s debut.

9 Likes

Space Sasquatch?

3 Likes

What a great tale, and well told.

"William [dramatic pause] Shatner [dramatic pause] isgoingto [dramatic pause] spaaaaaaaace!

5 Likes

Not the first nor the last Klingon to volunteer that particular service.

12 Likes

A lot of Firefly’s appeal is that it seems more “honest” about this as well. The wealth is concentrated on the central planets, and the outlying worlds are mostly shitholes full of struggling people constantly defeated by the broken promises of bureaucracy. So they resort to legal-adjacent means for a lot of things.

Even Deep Space Nine took a more realistic approach to this. As utopian as Starfleet is supposed to be, it is still a military and does mostly military things. DS9 regularly acknowledges this. You can really see the roots of Moore’s Battlestar Galactica reboot in it. When you send an army to solve every problem, they tend to find solutions involving shooting at stuff.

7 Likes

Some of the most memorable Star Trek episodes were the ones that showed just how fragile that veneer of utopian ideals really was. Like the episode “The Measure of a Man” when Data was almost denied legal status as a free and sentient being or the episode “The Drumhead” when an overzealous Starfleet Admiral (who my mindcanon always misremembers as Judy Dench even though she was played by Jean Simmons) goes full Joe McCarthy.

8 Likes

The fact that the Enterprise D had five daycare centers (according to Star Trek: Lower Decks) and was still under existential threat every other week makes me think that the planets of the Federation must not be very utopian or peaceful places either, or else why in the heck would families take the risk of bringing their kids with them on a ship that gets into more battles than any US warship in history?

4 Likes

“Field trip!”

tumblr_mvzk7qQARq1rzu2xzo4_r1_400

Reminds me of this:

7 Likes

Can also confirm, as I once worked a convention he was at and got to see his primo diva dickhead behavior in person. I also heard stories of other behind-the-scenes entitled asshattery from another convention worker a year or two later… you know someone’s awful when a seasoned pro is eager to tell unflattering tales about their experiences with the man. (Not to mention a little Twitter tiff a while back where he snarked to some of my mutuals about how “cis is a slur”…)

While I’m tolerably fond of James T. Kirk, I’ve got few fucks to give for the actor who portrayed him. I hope it goes well mainly so other Trekkies don’t have their hearts broken at the loss. Beyond that… :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

It builds character?

1 Like

That Wil Wheaton story makes me wonder if Shatner is even clear on the distinction:

“Well, I’d never let a kid come onto my bridge.” He said, and walked away.

It almost makes one wonder if he was living under some Buzz-Lightyear-esque delusion that he actually was a Starfleet Captain, or that he had any real authority over who was allowed on the bridge of his fictional ship.

8 Likes

Either way, Gene Roddenberry was probably the only person who could give Shatner a bollocking and get him to apologise.

He knew that I was a fan of the original series, and he knew that I was more than a little intimidated by these actors. He offered several times to make introductions, but I always declined.

Roddenberry no doubt wanted to be present to make sure that Shatner was on his best behavour.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.