Winning "Wear a Mask" PSA is a real love letter to NYC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/27/winning-wear-a-mask-psa-is.html

8 Likes

They missed out by rejecting my ad, titled “Wear your fuckin’ mask, you stupid lazy selfish fuckin’ fuck”. Fortunately, it’s spreading despite the lack of airtime.

20 Likes

i love the winning ad so much, and think it should be a national campaign. every city and state could do a version.

11 Likes

10 Likes

Wear A Mask: Gotham Edition

8 Likes

I wonder if all the near-identical coronavirus timeline commercials will prompt an uptick in people learning to play piano? Or the opposite?

5 Likes

What do we all think: basement, or still in an upstairs bedroom?

13 Likes

I think the line

really sums up my bafflement at the small but loud group that feel like it’s an absolute violation of their civil rights for them to have to wear a mask.

Their refusal isn’t them (bravely?) foregoing personal protection, it’s them insisting that I accept a greater risk for their comfort/pride.

17 Likes

Come on, @Melizmatic & @chgoliz, have a little reading comprehension!
What @SGP very clearly meant with their six insightful and efficient words is that a nationwide campaign based on a creation specific to one metropolitan area would undermine the power of “local” in the customized versions, and dilute the movingness of the original.

Furthermore, @SGP was indicating that they found the musical accompaniment only appropriate for NYC - a mellow piece to contrast with the energy of the city that never sleeps. @SGP made clear that the music for a Miami ad would need to evoke rain, while one for Seattle would be sunny.

The concerns of each city, @SGP conveyed with brilliant economy, are too different, even while the threat is the same.

I could go on. That comment had a richness rarely seen. But perhaps instead of relying on my limited ability to convey with so many words what @SGP conveyed with so few, you should open your mind, relax your eyes, and re-experience the comment directly.

12 Likes

Ouch! :rofl:

4 Likes

9 Likes

Call them out with a shout, “Self-centered, self-entitled, spoiled rotten, adult delinquent!”

2 Likes

Screenshot_2020-05-27 Winning Wear a Mask PSA is a real love letter to NYC

11 Likes

IKR? Do these morons hate all grandparents and cancer patients?

1 Like

Remember that kid in school whose only accomplishment was learning how to draw this?
Screenshot_2020-05-27 that-s-thing-everyone-drew-in-school-what-is-it-1469592177 jpg (WEBP Image, 1600 × 899 pixels)

9 Likes
2 Likes

nothing says New York like a mothafuckin’ MF DOOM shirt!

2 Likes

You’d think that Madison Ave. would see a “Wear your fuckin’ mask, you stupid lazy selfish fuckin’ fuck” ad campaign as a reasonable alternative to having to calmly sit down with unreachable loons and explain in great detail (as if they haven’t heard already) why they should wear masks… as they scream and shout at me with their un-masked, possibly virus-packed, pie holes. But nope.

2 Likes

We must target puppet fans:

1 Like

Somehow big mean New York City has been long stereotyped as a place where people don’t care about each other as much as small-town Real Americans™ in America’s Heartland™.

But honestly, anyone who lives in a densely populated city by choice is ONLY there for the people, or the things created by people. There’s no natural splendor to admire in New York City, there’s only the splendor of humanity and its works. It also takes a lot more effort to stick to social distancing guidelines if you live in a densely populated urban area than if you live in a sparsely populated rural area. So which group of Americans really care more about the health and wellbeing of their neighbors?

5 Likes