Wisconsin football team destroy bowl game trophy in celebration

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/01/wisconsin-football-team-destroy-bowl-game-trophy-in-celebration.html

4 Likes

The unasked question is why anyone would choose to make a football trophy out of glass in the first place.

9 Likes

Anyone who wants to make a sports trophy out of glass should hear the cautionary tale of Stan Bowles and the FA Cup (which isn’t made of glass, fortunately).

I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was May 1973. QPR’s game at Sunderland had been delayed, because of the cup final, which Sunderland had won that year with a flukey win against Leeds, the best team in the country. We had to play them the Monday afterwards. They paraded the Cup around their ground and then they left it on a table on the halfway line. A guy called Tony Hazel and I had a little bet who could hit it with the ball. It was just a spontaneous thing. I did it during the warm-up and it didn’t go down very well. I ran straight across the park and then, bang! the FA Cup goes shooting up in the air. I believe it got dented, but I don’t know whether Hazel done it or I did; it doesn’t really matter though. Once it was done it was done.

During the match I was winding up all their players, who had probably had a few drinks over the weekend. We beat them 3-0. I scored two goals and almost caused a riot by taking the piss. I was going up to their players and asking them, “How the fuck did you ever beat fucking Leeds?”. It was the headlines on the News at 10 – we had to be taken off the pitch for about half an hour. All their fans ran on the pitch and delayed the end of the game.

5 Likes
11 Likes
15 Likes

Those are some uncomfortably long handshakes!

Wow that ending was just tragic. Poor guy!

6 Likes

They should make the replacement out of steak tips and sausages and see what happens.

2 Likes

My first out loud laugh of the year.

3 Likes

Hey, I’m all for any chance to bash Wisconsin - the state or the football team. I regret to say, this isn’t their fault:
Look on deadspin dot com.

fumble!

4 Likes
4 Likes

Guessing you cant post a link? Here you go:

5 Likes

Takes me right back to the day we boys broke dad’s antique lamp in the living room. Right down to the freeze moment.

2 Likes

Mayonaise jar as a substitute? Isn’t this the rather obvious substitute:

2 Likes

I see a trend

5 Likes

Butterfingers!!!

1 Like
2 Likes

C’mon, no one has posted this yet? It’s even the right time of year.

6 Likes

2nd place trophies are for losers:

But…why?

2 Likes