With the Depp-Heard trial over, the public lusts for the next lurid spectacle

Originally published at: With the Depp-Heard trial over, the public lusts for the next lurid spectacle | Boing Boing

5 Likes

It would probably end up being a case as disturbing and vomit inducing like the Chris Chan trial.

I’ve been doing my best to avoid this, but goddamn, people are obsessed with the misery of others.

20 Likes

DC doesn’t provide enough?

Lurid isn’t the half of it.

7 Likes

Honestly, I think this trial has been terribly important because of its implications for the the #MeToo movement and related cultural changes. It could be a real step backwards for victims of harassment and abuse, and contribute to a climate of skepticism towards abuse claims. Potentially really bad news.

13 Likes

Idoru is my favorite William Gibson novel. So cool. Neuromancer is iconic, but the Bridge trilogy is so perfect to me.

5 Likes

Hopefully Computer Generated Imagery will keep improving to the point where movie celebrities are made redundant. So sick of the spectacle…I don’t care.

1 Like

Why even bring this nonsense to BoingBoing?

6 Likes

Because while we may deplore it all, it’s probably best that we don’t ignore that it’s happened, along with all the concomitant effects of it having happened.

11 Likes

Money can’t buy happiness is all I got from this stupid affair.

But we know this already.

1 Like

Anything to avoid feeling their own misery, or dealing with all the problems threatening human existence.

16 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon
If the MSM brought half the energy used for celeb reporting to other news affecting viewers’ lives, we might have less of a struggle getting people to pay attention to those problems and take action. Part of me hopes they’ll be presenting the Jan 6 committee hearings in a very engaging way, or most folks won’t watch.

16 Likes

in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka

Hey, why is Topeka of all places singled out?

4 Likes

Brother, you and I both live in Kansas and know very well that the last place either of us want to be is in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. The only thing worse would be a single-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. :^)

7 Likes

Yep.

Yes, it’s a sordid instance of mass rubbernecking, but the widespread stanning for Depp and ridicule for Heard is ugly and frightening.

That seems to me like the bigger story now.

“This is basically the end of MeToo,” Dr. Jessica Taylor, a psychologist, forensic psychology Ph.D., and author of two books on misogyny and abuse, tells Rolling Stone. “It’s the death of the whole movement.”

As the verdict came in, sexual assault survivors expressed their disappointment with the decision, even if they were not surprised by it. “I don’t think it’s unexpected. But it’s horrible,” says one survivor, who herself faced a defamation claim after coming forward against her own abuser (and requested her name be withheld for legal reasons). She says the claim was dropped, but that watching Heard be dragged through the mud during the trial brought back memories of her own experience, which she says was traumatic and led her to consider suicide.

16 Likes

Misery sells.

1 Like

Misogyny sells.

16 Likes

Except for think pieces on What It All Means that I didn’t read, this story didn’t hit my news feed. Glad I avoided this nonsense.

1 Like

The BBC was treating it like the Nuremberg trials

4 Likes

I mean, I am not sure I’d be thrilled about a trailer in any state…

But even as far as Kansas goes, Topeka isn’t bad.

2 Likes