Woman arrested and handcuffed in Georgia for driving with a Canadian license

What makes you think a foreign student is not a legal resident? There are visas for that.

FYI, but check with the local DMV. https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/international-student-counsel/2015/01/06/follow-these-steps-to-obtain-a-us-drivers-license

1 Like

Having been a foreign student in both Canada and the US, I am well aware of that. The distinction I was making (perhaps unclearly) was that a student is not usually considered a “resident” of a state where they go to school.

It’s not quite black and white (nothing concerning residency ever is), but a student can’t go to school out of state for a year, then claim they are a resident of that state and pay in-state tuition. By that argument you wouldn’t be required to get a local state DL (but I’m sure there are inconsistencies).

1 Like

That’s awfully selective, it would be much easier to cross out everything south of the Mason-Dixon line. It’s a damn shame that Lincoln didn’t just let those shithole states leave. (overly simple answer, the horror of slavery would not have been stopped, etc. Read “Underground Railroad” for one take on what would have happened)

Well, you’re assuming the officer in question was literate, do we have any evidence of that?

1 Like

Quoting the unfortunate young lady…

“I don’t know what to do! Oh my God! I’m in GEORGIA and I’m freaking the shit out!!!”

Looks like the Peachtree State tourism board has its new slogan!!!

Y’all come on back now…

4 Likes

Could be worse:

“Now let’s you just drop them pants.”

1 Like

In terms of state residence, there’s usually a requirement of intent to “permanently” settle. Students are presumed not to have that intent because they’re there to study and will probably go back home after. It’s the same reason I don’t have to get an out of state license even if I’m doing long term work for a client out of state. I don’t intend to change my residence away from my home state, so no DL, I file a non-resident tax return in that state, and so on.

2 Likes

Awesome. I never heard that cover. Here’s the original track from that song, “Manteca” by Dizzy Gillespie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbfg7i6u8-I

Oooo nice! Yes this is the perfect morning for some Dizzy.

On last night’s CBC news they mentioned that some municipalities use this kind of thing (speed traps etc) as income.

Reminds me of another Canadian friend who happened to be traveling in the US south in the 70s, Texas I think, and being a long haired hippie he got picked up and put in jail for vagrancy. Apparently if you are carrying a hotel key in your pocket you are ok, otherwise you’re a vagrant. Even though he did have $300 cash on him, which surprisingly happened to be the fine for vagrancy.

Usually, establishing a resident status means physically arriving in the jurisdiction with no plans to depart for the foreseeable future. A Canadian student would have plans to depart.

2 Likes

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/reciprocity.htm

Driving privilege reciprocity allows a person to use a valid, unexpired foreign license to operate a motor vehicle in Texas for up to one year or until a person becomes a Texas resident, whichever date is sooner. Once a person becomes a new Texas resident, they must apply for a Texas license within 90 days to continue to drive legally.

The key is “become a resident”, but not necessarily “permanent”. I’ve been on a TN which is by definition non-permanent, and had to go through the 90-day limit. As a student, I get it, as long if that’s not a long term course (> 1 year) you could keep your foreign license.

CBC News said on Sunday night: “She got the bond money back” (paraphrased), but I think she’s still out the $200ish “get my car out out of jail” fee, and some other fees; perhaps $300 in total.

Scary. My mom drives that route every year, and I sometimes do. It’s so very nice to be in Florida in February, but I’m having second thoughts. :frowning:

Georgia and Atlanta really should be two separate states. Majority of the non-urban residents are dumb as Ala-damn-bammers. Getting way too much like Stalinist Georgia here.

Yeah. Should have been along when I walked into a liquor store in Maine with my buddies from Idaho, Illinois, and New York. We were former soldiers partying in Orono. We’d have been pegged as terrorists these days.

Maybe us AT-Aliens can drag the rest of the state kicking and screaming at least into the late 20th century, if not the 21st.

And there are other splashes of blue here or there - Athens, Savannah… Certainly not as powerful as Atlanta, but it’s still there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.