Woman arrested for breaking into restaurant and making a $500 salad

From a restaurant on Broad street? Hardly! You got to go up to the fancy hotel on the edge of town for that!

4 Likes

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

3 Likes

Just Romaine here a bit - I’m sure they’ll come along.

4 Likes

$500 salad brought to you by the same police that valued a single ounce of marijuana at $5000 back in 1996.

6 Likes

Not true!

2 Likes

Also theft by finding.

1 Like

So street price or retail price? Never do we see a crime charged at the actual cost.

2 Likes

Yes, regulations in Europe/Italy foresee two different variants of aceto balsamico.

The “Aceto Balsamico di Modena I.G.P.” is made of wine vinegar and cooked must.
I.G.P. stands for “Protected Geographical Indication”, meaning that at least one of the production stages must be done in Modena territory (don’t know if sticking the label on the bottle counts).
Relatively cheap, around 10€ per liter or more depending on quality.

The “Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena D.O.P.” is made only of cooked grape must, and must be aged at least 12 years, during which time it’s concentrated and decanted in smaller and smaller casks.
The cost is partially justified by the complex production and the low yield, which needs to happen 100% in Modena (from grapes to the final product) and according to a precise discipline due to being a Protected Origin Designation product.
Another DOP Aceto Balsamico exists, “A B T di Reggio Emilia”, disciplined by slightly different rules, but essentially very similar (also in price).
Can reach 1000€ per liter.

In my family (partly originating for Reggio) there’s this legend of the “old aunts” who died without revealing the recipe for their aceto balsamico, but I’m too young even to have met them.

5 Likes

I’d laugh, but that isn’t funny.

2 Likes

Lettuce not haggle over this.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that there were recipes for the cottura, but it kinda figures, generational knolwedge is invaluable. I thought lots of the quality|flavour|depth came from the age of the mother though?

They were very old aunts, not mothers!
Maybe that was their secret :wink:

1 Like

Who doesn’t like a salad heaped with saffron and truffles?

1 Like

I grew up in Canada, but with many post WWII Italian neighbours so I got to see first hand wine and grappa production, tradition foods and desserts being prepared. Giant gardens, lots of “aunts” dressed in black, old men playing bocce ball. Good days

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.