Woman asked to remove "Hail Satan" T-shirt on American Airlines flight

1 Like

Thing is- even they know this.

I’m quite sure the only reason they picked Baphomet is because a lot of it is simply trolling Christianity, as well as doing good works. Because in part there is no one accepted visage of Satan, they chose to use Baphomet since Christians seem to confuse him with Lucifer, which helps them get their point across in any case more quickly, which is to piss off irrational Christians.

Which is most of them.

It’s actually kind of hilarious which is part of the point.

Honestly I’d join them, but I’m tired of religious baggage and having to explain it to people but for some reason I’m doing it here right now.

I think every religion is irrational and a waste of fucking time. I spent too much of my life contemplating the meaning of my own existence and going down that rabbit hole of existential dread too much to ever worry about what’s going to happen to me after I’m worm food for even a second further.

7 Likes

As far as I can tell the entire “Satanist” movement is simply driving trollies Christianity. Few if any people seem to be genuinely and unironically worshipping Lucifer.

11 Likes

No, that was interesting; thank you. As a not American, I only have a very passing knowledge of your history.

7 Likes

Discrimination based on the perception of a customer’s religion?
That’s a suing

8 Likes

Do people who wear crosses in public have to worry about what other people think? If not, then neither should anyone else.

9 Likes

You mean like this?

5 Likes

I was friends with a cat that played in a band called Satovan. But I was wearing their hoodie at the pay booth at Pacific Place. All these guys (African) ran away. It was really weird. It was always just a good hoodie to me. I did not care what it said. Satovan is just a mash of Satan and Beethoven.

3 Likes

“I was friends with a cat that played in a band…”

pianocat

16 Likes

“Satanism” is not simply a “non-christian religion”. It is a religion that is, quite deliberately, antagonistic towards christianity specifically.

Does that mean we pagans get some allowance for Christians’ tendency to accuse us of being Satanists, portraying us as evil in every form of media imaginable, trying to take our children away, demolishing our monuments, building on our sacred grounds and trying to variously burn and hang us?

I mostly don’t mind personal symbols etc, but some shirts are directly threatening

5 Likes

… whilst smoking! It is odd how quickly seeing someone actually smoking in a public space has become alien. When did this happen?

smoking

Sometime after 1990, I guess.

4 Likes

they make a whole bunch of Hail Santa shirts:

I always assumed Satanists were technically “christian” since Satan/Lucifer was a figment of Christian mythology. A non-theistic religion that uses Satan as a symbol of its user’s rejection of Christianity makes me think that it’s more of a “trolling” religion, akin to pastafarianism.

4 Likes

21 Likes

Jesus T. Christ, Attorney at Law

2 Likes

So? Some Christians are specific antagonistic towards people of others faiths. In some cases, it’s deeply inscribe into their culture - they push for SECULAR laws that would deny basic rights to non-chritsians, the LBGQT+ community, women, in some cases people of color. That shit is fucking offensive, denying people basic rights, such as the right to marry who one wants, the right to bodily autonomy, the right to worship as one sees fit - all of that if far more offensive than someone wearing an offensive shirt. Full stop.

They don’t get to claim religious freedom for themselves and deny it to others, not under our constitution.

No. That’s not the case. It can be true, but not always. And once again, others don’t get to dictate how others expression their first amendment rights in a public space. If the snowflakes can’t deal with it, that’s there problem, but they don’t get to deny others their rights.

19 Likes

I have everything to be sorry for, cause some people don’t want to hear it! :wink:

8 Likes

Yes. They may not be doing it to get the same reaction as the lady in the “hail satan” shirt (I.e. the reaction they’re after might be a recognition of shared faith from other believers), but they are definitely doing it to get some reaction out of other people.

I was, if you recall, arguing against the satan lady being harassed for expressing her religious views through her clothing. I would, of course, say that other people should also not be harassed over what they choose to wear, religious or not.

I don’t make a habit of discussing religion with strangers, and, as I said before, I was arguing against the idea that people should have stopped satan lady to question her about her shirt.

Context is everything. If a bunch of zealots are trying to force a religion on other people using the apparatus of state, or other violent methods, that religion absolutely needs to be mocked. In the US that’s predominantly Christianity, but around the world, this applies to most major religions.

Note that this is not to say that anyone should go up to someone wearing a turban, or a cross, or a satan shirt, in public, and mock them. Just that, if you interpret someone else’s attire as mocking your religion maybe you should look to your own more zealous brethren if you Feel the need to find someone to blame for it.

1 Like

Actually the shirt from my Bachelor Party:

5 Likes

Yes it is. driving trollies is inviting conflict and confrontation, by it’s definition. That’s fine. But in a enclosed airline space, the Flight Attendants to not want to be referees for your trolley or ‘statement’ that provokes other passengers. While you might think they’re just ‘the help’ that serve drinks. They have a duty to keep the cabin free of problems that could interfere with flight operations.
People have been thrown off planes for complaining about being seated near black people.
Yes, the shirt is mostly harmless…it was by the wearer’s on admission worn to piss people off, and therefore invoking conflict, you don’t want that in a aircraft cabin.

1 Like

Because in that case, they are enacting discrimination. In this case, the woman in question is being discriminated against.

This is not rocket surgery folks. It’s really not. The first amendment is crystal clear. Our public spaces are NOT christian spaces. Christians who believe that they get to use the state to enforce discriminatory practices against others are just flat wrong here. If there were Christians on the flight who had problems with her shirt and were such fragile snowflakes that they would cause a legitimate problem over it, they should have been removed from the flight to take a different one. The entire fucking world doesn’t have to cater to the fragile feelings of some Christians.

13 Likes