Woman asked to remove "Hail Satan" T-shirt on American Airlines flight

Yeah, sorry, it was the Pilgrim Fathers. America has so many fathers!

1 Like

Democracy has many fathers, fascism is the bastard child an impotent orange reality televison star with delusions of grandeur.” ~ John F. Kennedy, probably.

10 Likes

Closer, but don’t forget that the VA colony was part of the earliest colonies, too and an economic colony. The pilgrims were really only one small group of the earliest settlers. And of course, some of the pilgrims were religious bigots in their own right, persecuting those not of their faith.

On top of all that, is that people didn’t imagine themselves as part of something separate from the English government into well into the war itself. And of course not everyone wanted to be independent.

But sorry, now I’m just blah, blah, blahing here…

14 Likes

I agree, and that was the point I was trying to make.

1 Like

One features the words “hail satan”, the other depicts a man being tortured to death.

I would say, more obnoxious.

20 Likes

A sign in front of a church nearby says “Jesus :heavy_plus_sign: Christ.” I always wonder what the t stands for.

2 Likes

“I can take off another layer but my skeleton might scare the kids even more.”

22 Likes

FFS, people need to relax. The Satanic Temple is nothing more than secular humanism with better merchandise.

14 Likes

Tapdancing.

6 Likes

I’m sure she’ll get the backing of all those conservatives constantly bleating about “religious freedoms.” No, wait, they’ll probably back the airline employees, for their “right” to discriminate against others for having different religious beliefs…

11 Likes

The people most likely to get their (f)undies in a bunch are the conservative evangelicals, and they believe that all other religions are of Satan. Like literally - looking at evangelical websites, where they have lists of “Satanic” symbols, it’s just a list of (non-Protestant) religious symbols (e.g. those related to Taoism, Islam, etc.). These are the same kind of airline employees who are “uncomfortable” with Islamic passengers, or people with Arabic on their clothes. Any sufficiently fringe religion would provoke the same response from them (and in previous instances has).

In a larger sense, all religious expression is going to be provocative to someone, but the more mainstream the religion, the less likely you are to run into that person. So this argument amounts to, “You should know better than to express a belief, unless it’s sufficiently mainstream.” To which I can only respond: Hail Satan!

11 Likes

Oh, for the “good old days” when passengers actually dressed for flights and sensibly disguised their Satanic beliefs by playing checkers.

14 Likes

The point I was trying to make, or lets say, suggest, without getting too far into it, is that framing this as a first amendment issue, and an issue about freedom of religion, completely glosses over the fact that “Satanism” is not simply a “non-christian religion”. It is a religion that is, quite deliberately, antagonistic towards christianity specifically. Wearing a “Hail Satan” tshirt is just trolling, flat out.I agree that it is perfectly within her rights to do so. I just don’t want to hear this “I was just innocently expressing my love for Satan” bullshit.

1 Like

I totally agree that the airline was full of BS (being a 64-year-old raised as an atheist!)
But my knickers get a lot more twisted by the fact that pilots can keep pretty much anything off their flight. My friend who worked for “Be the Match” was bringing a transplant organ to my town in its little cooler (with me lined up to drive him & it to the hospital from the airport). It almost missed its viability deadline because he had to be rebooked on a later flight – the pilot of the first flight didn’t want the organ on his plane.

6 Likes

Meanwhile, in Seattle…

17 Likes

I guess this just doesn’t anger me. What do you expect? If you wear a shirt implies you have the unholy authority of the CEO of American Airlines, Satan himself, and you really don’t, his minions are going to act pissy.

5 Likes

In this case, though, they are actually non-theistic satanists:

It’s the equivalent of wearing a “Jesus Saves” T-shirt for a Xtian. Except I would feel less threatened by the person wearing the satan shirt.

17 Likes

Statistically, Christians have a much higher body count than satanists. Like, many orders of magnitude higher.

If I’m walking down the aisle of a plane with seat selection, I’m more likely to sit next to this lady than the afore-mentioned “Jesus Saves” t-shirt guy.

Right? I mean, it’s not like it was a United shirt. Even Satan draws the line somewhere.

14 Likes
  1. Whether or not it’s driving trollies is completely irrelevant, so why bring it up.

2. How is expressing your Christian religion publicly (like Jesus explicitly enjoined against, as it happens) , not “driving trollies?” If you’re wearable symbol of your faith openly, you’re doing it to get a reaction from other people. If it were about your personal religion, you would do it in your room, with the door closed, as Jesus commanded.

3. As long as there are people who are trying to prevent you from criticizing a religion in public, you have to keep doing it, to make it clear that they can’t get away with that. Christians who aren’t assholes should be blaming their more zealous brethren, not the people trying to stand up to them.

Basically, wearing any religious regalia in public is intended to get a reaction from people, just like this shirt is. If people don’t want all viewpoints on their religion to be expressed in public, they should fucking well keep it out of the public sphere.

11 Likes

Please don’t.

2 Likes