Woman asked to remove "Hail Satan" T-shirt on American Airlines flight

You mean like this?

5 Likes

I was friends with a cat that played in a band called Satovan. But I was wearing their hoodie at the pay booth at Pacific Place. All these guys (African) ran away. It was really weird. It was always just a good hoodie to me. I did not care what it said. Satovan is just a mash of Satan and Beethoven.

3 Likes

“I was friends with a cat that played in a band…”

pianocat

16 Likes

“Satanism” is not simply a “non-christian religion”. It is a religion that is, quite deliberately, antagonistic towards christianity specifically.

Does that mean we pagans get some allowance for Christians’ tendency to accuse us of being Satanists, portraying us as evil in every form of media imaginable, trying to take our children away, demolishing our monuments, building on our sacred grounds and trying to variously burn and hang us?

I mostly don’t mind personal symbols etc, but some shirts are directly threatening

5 Likes

… whilst smoking! It is odd how quickly seeing someone actually smoking in a public space has become alien. When did this happen?

smoking

Sometime after 1990, I guess.

4 Likes

they make a whole bunch of Hail Santa shirts:

I always assumed Satanists were technically “christian” since Satan/Lucifer was a figment of Christian mythology. A non-theistic religion that uses Satan as a symbol of its user’s rejection of Christianity makes me think that it’s more of a “trolling” religion, akin to pastafarianism.

4 Likes

21 Likes

Jesus T. Christ, Attorney at Law

2 Likes

So? Some Christians are specific antagonistic towards people of others faiths. In some cases, it’s deeply inscribe into their culture - they push for SECULAR laws that would deny basic rights to non-chritsians, the LBGQT+ community, women, in some cases people of color. That shit is fucking offensive, denying people basic rights, such as the right to marry who one wants, the right to bodily autonomy, the right to worship as one sees fit - all of that if far more offensive than someone wearing an offensive shirt. Full stop.

They don’t get to claim religious freedom for themselves and deny it to others, not under our constitution.

No. That’s not the case. It can be true, but not always. And once again, others don’t get to dictate how others expression their first amendment rights in a public space. If the snowflakes can’t deal with it, that’s there problem, but they don’t get to deny others their rights.

19 Likes

I have everything to be sorry for, cause some people don’t want to hear it! :wink:

8 Likes

Yes. They may not be doing it to get the same reaction as the lady in the “hail satan” shirt (I.e. the reaction they’re after might be a recognition of shared faith from other believers), but they are definitely doing it to get some reaction out of other people.

I was, if you recall, arguing against the satan lady being harassed for expressing her religious views through her clothing. I would, of course, say that other people should also not be harassed over what they choose to wear, religious or not.

I don’t make a habit of discussing religion with strangers, and, as I said before, I was arguing against the idea that people should have stopped satan lady to question her about her shirt.

Context is everything. If a bunch of zealots are trying to force a religion on other people using the apparatus of state, or other violent methods, that religion absolutely needs to be mocked. In the US that’s predominantly Christianity, but around the world, this applies to most major religions.

Note that this is not to say that anyone should go up to someone wearing a turban, or a cross, or a satan shirt, in public, and mock them. Just that, if you interpret someone else’s attire as mocking your religion maybe you should look to your own more zealous brethren if you Feel the need to find someone to blame for it.

1 Like

Actually the shirt from my Bachelor Party:

5 Likes

Yes it is. driving trollies is inviting conflict and confrontation, by it’s definition. That’s fine. But in a enclosed airline space, the Flight Attendants to not want to be referees for your trolley or ‘statement’ that provokes other passengers. While you might think they’re just ‘the help’ that serve drinks. They have a duty to keep the cabin free of problems that could interfere with flight operations.
People have been thrown off planes for complaining about being seated near black people.
Yes, the shirt is mostly harmless…it was by the wearer’s on admission worn to piss people off, and therefore invoking conflict, you don’t want that in a aircraft cabin.

1 Like

Because in that case, they are enacting discrimination. In this case, the woman in question is being discriminated against.

This is not rocket surgery folks. It’s really not. The first amendment is crystal clear. Our public spaces are NOT christian spaces. Christians who believe that they get to use the state to enforce discriminatory practices against others are just flat wrong here. If there were Christians on the flight who had problems with her shirt and were such fragile snowflakes that they would cause a legitimate problem over it, they should have been removed from the flight to take a different one. The entire fucking world doesn’t have to cater to the fragile feelings of some Christians.

13 Likes

Maybe you’re thinking of this story?:

Or this one?:

Funny thing: I can’t find any legitimate news story about a white passenger being de-planed after complaining about being seated near a black passenger.

19 Likes

Speaking as someone who thinks that adults being edgelords in mixed public spaces is tiresome as a general rule, we still don’t really want to go down that road where others’ offense (especially theoretical) to speech like this sets the bounds for using services like flying on a plane.

For example, I bet most of us would agree that it would be unacceptable* for an airline to demand that a Muslim passenger remove a headscarf before being allowed to board because the flight attendant was worried that other passengers might be offended by it, right?

*as in, we shouldn’t accept it, not that it has never happened, unfortunately

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it rhymes with P and that stands for Prubble

This gives the song “Devil Went Down to Georgia” a whole new, literal meaning.

1 Like

Let’s say that again louder for the people in the cheap seats;

Our public spaces are NOT ‘Christian-Only’ spaces!

15 Likes

>deep sigh<

Satanism is not merely a matter of "driving trollies the Christians. While beliefs vary between sects, they usually have some sort of philosophical grounding. Here are the seven fundamental tenets of the Satanic Temple, from their website:

• One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

• The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

• One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

• The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one’s own.

• Beliefs should conform to one’s best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one’s beliefs.

• People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one’s best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

• Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

No, I am not a Satanist. (I’m an atheist/agnostic influenced by reading a little about a variety of belief systems, who if pressed to “pick one” identifies as Discordian.) But reading those tenets, I find myself in sympathy with many of their beliefs. And according to the laws and founding principles of our country, they have just as much right to publicly and proudly give witness to their faith via dress and/or jewelry as any Christian, or any other religion. Full stop.

What the airline did was not only wrong, but illegal, and I dearly hope the inevitable lawsuit teaches them a lesson in tolerance.

17 Likes