Woman calls cops on black UPS driver because "walking around with a bunch of packages" makes her "nervous"

And I would tend to agree with you. My comment was lobbed into a roomful of mental health speculation, all comments long since eaten at this point.

9 Likes

I’m neither staff nor a moderator (though one appears to have highlighted my post above.) A discussion about that might be good, but isn’t really on-topic here.

11 Likes

If she literally did not act on racist feelings, then she would absolutely not be disruptive, given the assumption that any disruptiveness – meaning action, not feelings or thought – is motivated by racism. If something in her heart literally does not affect her behavior, then it’s as if she does not have that something in her heart. “A difference that doesn’t make a difference is not a difference,” or something like that (James Blish, Spock Must Die! (1970)).

On the other hand: I am reminded of Roger Zelazny’s riff on Buddhism and intent in his excellent 1967 novel Lord of Light:

As he spoke, the beggar brushed from the table before him a red, crawling beetle, the size of a thumbnail, and he moved his sandal as if to crush it.

“Pray, brother, do not harm it,” said the monk.

“But they are all over the place, and the Masters of Karma have stated that a man cannot be made to return as an insect, and the killing of an insect is a karmically inoperative act.”

“Nevertheless,” said the monk, “all life being one, in this monastery all do practice the doctrine of ahimsa and refrain from taking life of any sort.”

“Yet,” said Aram, “Patanjali does state that it is the intention rather than the act which governs. Therefore, if I killed with love rather than malice, it would be as if I had not killed. I confess that this was not the case and that malice was present- therefore, even if I did not kill I do bear the burden of the guilt because of the presence of that intention. So I could step upon it now and be none the worse for it, according to the principle of ahimsa. Since I am a guest, however, I of course respect the practice and do not do this thing.” With this, he moved his sandal away from the insect, which stood immobile, reddish antennae pricked upward.

“Indeed, he is a scholar,” said one of the Order of Ratri.

4 Likes

Take it a step further.

The problematic part is having a society in which a white person feels entitled to behave like this (and, barring some rare and novel social disapproval, is justified in this belief) whereas a Black person abusing a white person in a similar situation would be facing a substantial risk of death, and a very high probability of imprisonment and enslavement.

That society is maintained by the actions of all supporters of the status quo, not just the power-tripping Debbies who wind up on Youtube.

33 Likes

No more packages for you!

5 Likes

I can’t believe we’re still doing this.

You know who I feel bad for in that video? The guy who’s trying to do his job and is being harassed.

I mean, it’s great that his harasser has elicited so much compassion here, but maybe we should direct some of that concern towards the UPS guy. What happened to him? Does he face that kind of bullshit on a regular basis? How does that make him feel?

Just a thought. I’m probably wrong.

38 Likes

Well, there’s one but it’s a doozie. Sometimes stupidity leads to it naturally.

5 Likes

Her clearly telegraphed fear is stomach turning. Much worse is the probability that about a third of the country feels the way she does. Goddess save us all.

13 Likes

Honestly, that’s what it looks like to me. I’m not joking when I say it reminds me of when you have a dog with fear aggression.

10 Likes

And when the white dude shows up, see how quickly she tries to get him in trouble for calmly not really reacting to her horrible behavior. “He was being rude! And cussing me out!” Wow wow wow.

19 Likes

There’s an award for it too!

4 Likes

He shows himself wearing a UPS branded uniform in the video. Big logo on his jacket. Comeon.

13 Likes

Of course; because it was never about the woman in question feeling “nervous” or “unsafe.”

It was about putting a Black man ‘in his place’ because he dared to be in her neighborhood, regardless that he had a valid reason…

24 Likes

amber-ruffin-what-confused

14 Likes

Try these for some updated layman’s definitions:

Prejudice. A bias for or against a group of people based upon cultural criteria. May or may not be justified on a stochastic basis (for example, it is not unreasonable for an American Black person to be prejudiced against cops).

Racism. The systematic privileging of one socially-defined racial group over another.

In modern America, it is possible to be prejudiced against white people. It is not possible to be racist against them.

20 Likes

Expanding on a theme:

Racism = prejudice + power, and the most important part of that equation is the power.

Fighting racism is not about purging yourself of all unjustified prejudice. That’s useful too, but it’s not the main game.

Fighting racism is about actively dismantling your own privilege.

Surrendering allegiance to white supremacy means working to bring about a world in which you are just as susceptible as a Black person to being shot by the cops, a world in which the schools your kids go to are no better than those available to any other group, a world in which your own safety and comfort are inextricably linked to the well-being of Black people. If you want a decent society for yourself, it must be a decent society for all.

8e4bfe72c1fa1eee57610e12c0ff6a237cb820f2

20 Likes

Nailed it;

Black folks and other POC are not the dominant in-group who constructed an entire society meant to benefit them above all others… so while any of us could be just as hateful and bigoted as the KKK, none of us have the same systemic power structure supporting us.

15 Likes

Maybe try this one then. Based on your posts, I am going to guess you to be a SWM, as am I. It’s a tough concept when all we have known is privilege, but with some effort even this can be overcome.

16 Likes

Prejudice based on race is racism. Prejudice based on sex is sexism. Let’s try ageism, which is mentioned in that article. Go ahead, try telling me that old people are not the ones in power.

Remove the power and all you end is institutionalized racism. Racism would still exist because what the prejudice is based on matters.

1 Like

Please do not deign to condescend to me about the difference between individual acts of prejudice bigotry and racism and systemic racism.

I have been dealing with both firsthand my whole life, and I’ve been fighting against both for the entirety of my adulthood.

Also please check that needlessly combative tone you’re using; it’s not lending your argument any validity.

23 Likes