Woman charged in the shoving death of 87-year-old singing coach hires Harvey Weinstein’s lawyer

Originally published at: Woman charged in the shoving death of 87-year-old singing coach hires Harvey Weinstein's lawyer | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Her parents are expected to pay the $500,000 bail for her release pending trial.

Flight risk.

29 Likes

Want to know what “white privilege” is, well there’s a perfect example.

40 Likes

Pushing an elderly person down and causing a brain injury? She should be charged for impersonating a police officer.

27 Likes

She did NOT surrender her US pass port , and $500k to her parents is like a cup of coffee to you and I. If she wants to run, ain’t nothing stopping her.

26 Likes

Prosecutors say Pazienza hid in her parents’ Long Island home on March 16 after deleting her social media accounts and wedding registry. After police visited her parents, who were uncooperative, Pazienza turned herself in to the NYPD the next day.

13 Likes

I was wondering what the story behind the event was, it seemed like the attacker was not in her right mind for whatever reason, but her own lawyer is making it sound like she’s just an angry rich asshole who shoved an elderly lady who annoyed her…

Edit: to be clear, I’m not making “unsubstantiated assumptions regarding mental illness” - if I was, I would have, you know, done that. Most attacks by people not in their right minds involve substances.

(Though “My client is a mean drunk” doesn’t have much in the way of a sympathy factor, it doesn’t seem any worse than what’s being said…)

12 Likes

I half expect to hear some grade A victim blaming soon from hired reputation consultants:

“In fact, it was the 87 year old aggressor whose body assaulted the hands of the true victim, Ms. Pazienza!”

Just like all those assailants who attack police truncheons with their heads.

16 Likes

My point exactly. :+1:

1 Like

Prosecutors say Pazienza hid in her parents’ Long Island home on March 16 after deleting her social media accounts and wedding registry.

Yes - this definitely sounds like something an innocent person would do. /s

14 Likes

How is the public to have derived anything about the accused’s socio-economic status from blurry security camera footage? Is she or her family that well known in NY?

12 Likes

He questioned whether the manslaughter charge, which carries a sentence of up to 25 years, was due to Pazienza’s “socioeconomic status,” “race” or the media interest in the case.

Right, because everyone knows it’s rich white women who always bear the brunt of our overzealous criminal justice system.

It’s like they’re trying to make her a less sympathetic figure.

23 Likes

accompanied by lawyer Arthur Aidala, who represented movie mogul Harvey Weinstein

She, uh, knows he’s in prison right now, right?

10 Likes

…deleting her social media accounts and wedding registry.

But surely she’s not going to let a little thing like killing a revered elder get in the way of her Big Day, is she?

6 Likes

Unfortunately the bullshit affluenza defense seems to carry more weight with judges than it does with the public.

17 Likes

so, the wedding’s off, right? if i was the spouse-to-be, i’d be relieved i’m not married to her at this point.

9 Likes

At least she did take one right step and turned herself in. Now she’s a life lesson for everyone in a hurry to push others to the wayside.

1 Like

I don’t think she gets any points for that considering she only did so after her identification and apprehension were inevitable. She could have turned herself in almost two weeks ago, instead she chose to hide and hope it would all go away.

18 Likes

Oh you’re right, I thought this just happened a day or two ago.

4 Likes

The charge is not murder, it’s manslaughter.

3 Likes