Woman charged in the shoving death of 87-year-old singing coach hires Harvey Weinstein’s lawyer

“Your honor, my client is being discriminated against because of her status as a Grinch-mean white lady who commits assault against random people! We demand you execute Ibram X. Kendi!”

2 Likes

I don’t understand the deleting social media aspect of this.

Did (apparently) causing someone’s death make this woman suddenly realize her instagram page was a waste of her time?

2 Likes

“Defense attorney Arthur Aidala claimed to the judge that “pushing someone who’s on the sidewalk” isn’t the same as “pushing someone in front of a cliff” or “pushing someone in front of a moving train” — as he accused Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office of “overcharging” his client.”

Ugh what a A**hole…

I assure you pushing an 87 year old on the sidewalk is most certainly not benign. Falls are a major source of life changing injuries in the elderly.

Falls in the elderly - PMC.

19 Likes

Given that there was a search out for the assailant based on images of her, it’s not surprising that she deleted her social media accounts that may have had images of her on-line. It seems like an on-line adjunct to physically hiding. Plus, who knows what she wrote in those posts. There may have been inculpatory statements about her feelings about old people. Dunno.

14 Likes

assassination nation caption GIF by NEON

4 Likes

She chose the right lawyer. His SEO is probably centred around the slogan “Arthur Aidala: Attorney to Affluent Arseholes”.

8 Likes

Did I read that right? Because it looks like her lawyer, in claiming it’s not the same, is conceding his client did push the victim.

7 Likes

The charge is manslaughter, but that doesn’t mean it’s incorrect that people are accusing her of murder.

If you commit a violent act that results in someone’s death you can be morally and legally culpable of murder even if that person’s death wasn’t the intent of the attack.

12 Likes

Not keen on the framing of this post. Yes, she’s odious. Yes, Weinstein is, too.
We don’t gain by looking down our noses for defense attorneys taking on terrible cases. Everyone deserves a defense, even these people, and someone needs to defend them.

Mind: the ‘socioeconomic status’ defense is pretty laughable, and it’s fair game taking shots at how the defense structures things, but simply trying to do their job isn’t.

1 Like

I think the point is less “this lawyer is evil because he defended another evil person” so much as to point out that the woman in question is clearly able to hire a much more expensive lawyer than the average citizen could hope to afford.

14 Likes

But Aidala…

better GIF

5 Likes

Aidala wasted no time in complaining that Pazienza was being targeted for her “socioeconomic status.”

A: Or, you know, because she went around shoving the elderly. Believe it or not, that’s enough to incite people. Shocking, I realize.

B: Won’t somebody pleeeease think of the wealthy?? :sob:

In response to the “lawyers just doing their job” stuff, yes, everyone should be entitled to a fair defense, but the baseless claim that this lady is being targeted for her status rather than her actions is odious enough to make up my mind about this lawyer’s ethics.

8 Likes

Yeah pretty bonkers to imply it was the perpetrator’s wealth that got everyone so angry at her considering that this story prompted widespread public outrage before anyone even knew who the attacker was.

14 Likes

I really hope the judge brings attention to this defense’s absurdity. Back the defense into a corner where they have to follow that logic train to the end of the line and claim that a poor person totally would’ve been able to shove old ladies to the ground and suffer no consequences. Those dastardly poors and their privilege!

6 Likes

Fixed that for you.

1 Like

“pushing someone who’s on the sidewalk” isn’t the same as “pushing someone in front of a cliff” or “pushing someone in front of a moving train”

No, it isn’t the same. But it is still Assault, still a crime.

And it’s a well-established principle of the law that when someone dies as a result of actions a criminal took in the commission of a crime, the charge is raised to murder.

Just as it would be if you entered someone’s house illegally and, while fleeing, pushed them, causing them to crack their skull on a stone fireplace.

Charging this woman with murder is entirely appropriate.

3 Likes

I’d bet good money this too is an undercharge. Attorney is an idiot if he doesn’t realize that a murder charge is a definite possibility. Hello social media subpoenas. She may have thought she deleted her social media but all she did was make getting a subpoena easier for the DA. As soon as they had her name, official letters about preserving evidence went out.

3 Likes

Maybe, but you’re the same guy who said we shouldn’t say mean things about that fat fuck serial sexual predator Trump.

Do you have a Tone Police badge or are you still waiting to join the academy?

13 Likes

What someone think of the old people murderers!!! /s

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

7 Likes

I think it’s “won’t some one think of the highly paid celebrity defence attorneys!”

Ya know, framing…

8 Likes