Woman escapes kidnapper by leaping out of the trunk of his moving car

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/16/woman-escapes-kidnapper-by-lea.html

4 Likes

18 Likes

Sufficiently new vehicles sold in the US all have safety releases inside the trunk, and many (maybe most?) have a light you can turn on. One of very few regulations ever drafted that was a solution in search of a problem (almost all are reactive) with potential to be a real life saver.

13 Likes

Great story. Good for her taking action like that.

8 Likes

Brilliant feature. I’ve been driving older SUVs and or hatchbacks for so long I didn’t realize that these existed. Story with a happy ending as a result.

3 Likes

this guy is future Darwin Award winner for sure
wait for it…

1 Like

Even newer hatchbacks have the escape latch.

2 Likes

I’ve had cars older than 2002 when the requirement to add these to cars was implemented.

Here’s the rather dramatic genesis of the trunk escape lever:

9 Likes

Also, good choice on the timing!

She seems to have really kept her wits about her in a tough situation :thumbsup:

13 Likes

Is that really what they look like? With a stick figure that is obviously fleeing from captivity and not simply escaping a potentially embarrassing encounter with the local fire department?

Videos like this make me wonder how many people are in the trunks of the cars all around me. I mean escaping is apparently rare enough that it makes headlines so surely a larger proportion contain a person that is not escaping.

I bet there are at least 3 cars in the parking lot here at work that currently contain people. That Cadillac might even have two.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Yeah, it is hard to tell except when the kidnappers get sloppy.

6 Likes

I mentioned this in another thread a long time ago, but I had a co-worker who had previously worked at Canon (the ones who make cameras and copy machines). She used to take smoke breaks with a guy, who, turns out, was a serial killer. And yep, he kept the bodies in his trunk. She said he used to park kind of far away from the building. I tried to find the guy’s name but my Google Fu escapes me. He was killing prostitutes.

6 Likes

You are mistaken. That Cadillac has a three body trunk.

6 Likes

It’s even in the model name: Cadillac Corpse Trunk Storage.

11 Likes

The 2017 640Hp Cadaver To Stash-V series model comes with an emergency rope, shovel and bleach kit.

7 Likes

And the Home Depot special edition comes with a lifetime supply of 6 mil Visqueen!

3 Likes

Let’s Do This! Very creepy slogan in this context IK

1 Like

I wonder if there’s a “kidnapping” version that simultaneously releases the trunk lid and drives 6" spikes through the driver’s seat.

1 Like

Oh, you Altima driving bad guys.

Give us a ‘mea Nissan Maxima culpa’ why don’t you.

5 Likes