Woman faces 10 years in prison for giving water to pigs on a scorching summer day

Have you had duck bacon? Or beef bacon? DELICIOUS!

4 Likes

As if being a sexist animal abuser wasn’t bad enough, he’s apparently also a 1930s gangster.

17 Likes

No. NO! It isn’t bacon. You can’t do this.

YOU CAN’T!!!

Turkey isn’t bacon either. STOP THE LIES!!! You can’t call Velveeta Cheese. Bacon is bacon! Everything else is NOT BACON. You can get tofu to taste like anything - IT IS STILL FUCKING TOFU.

I don’t eat a Jolly Rancher and say it’s an apple.

Everyone stop calling non-bacon stuff bacon. Please. I no more. It stops now!

15 Likes

But its duck and beef belly, salted, and smoked. Its still delicious delicious fatty meat!
No where near a jolly rancher or tofu! I am offended on the duck’s behalf!

2 Likes

I recently had a sandwich from a vegan food vendor that was billed as a “Bacon Cheeseburger.”

It was actually quite tasty once you got past the bitter, bitter lies.

20 Likes

It’s been my experience that pig farmers as a whole are a very paranoid lot. And to be fair, any farmer would likely be freaked out to see someone giving something to an animal on the way to the slaughter house (aka getting paid.) Ten years is too much though.

10 Likes

I didn’t say it couldn’t be tasty. But it’s not bacon!

6 Likes

Disrupting food chain, perhaps (like not really but in a legal sense? ok). On purpose? I think the suffering of the animals in the caged trailer was more her concern than the chaos at the slaughter house upon hearing the pigs were given something to drink (i doubt feeding water to an animal in her mind was in any way tampering). If she was being sentenced based on intent then accusing her of attempting to ruin the shipment on purpose would be disingenuous. If a criminal sentence were to be passed I would demand proof that the pigs were in fact contaminated and not simply the possibility of contamination being sufficient for guilt (we’re looking at a 10 year sentence over essentially nothing there better be some kind of damage or what are we talking about).

1 Like

Well said, well played too!

2 Likes

But I like tofu
 and bacon
 great together even!

3 Likes

Being from deep, deep white monoculture country (Maine), it pretty much blew my mind the first time I had a Chinese dish that contained both beef and tofu. All in a moment I understood that bean curd was not “mock meat” but itself an ingredient, albeit a quite culinarily flexible one. A lot of foods suffer the indignity of becoming the understudy or fad diet “version” of another food, rather than playing to their own unique strengths.

On the duck and cow bacon, though I have to side with @Missy_Pants, though. The trademark has been genericized. Pork bacon purists are gonna need to start pulling a “band-aid brand” campaign, and calling it “pork bacon” consistently to regain their ground.

6 Likes

Calling @popobawa4u, calling @popobawa4u, where are you? We need you here in this thread, to give @Missy_Pants a hard time about something semantical. Where the heck are you???

12 Likes

You’re dead to me.

19 Likes

[quote=“SpaceGhost, post:28, topic:70035”]
Disrupting food chain, perhaps (like not really but in a legal sense? ok). On purpose? I think the suffering of the animals in the caged trailer was more her concern than the chaos at the slaughter house upon hearing the pigs were given something to drink[/quote]
But the driver/owner had no way of knowing that. The driver was presented with someone feeding a substance to the pigs - could have been water, could have been something to render the meat unfit for consumption. Could have been something to harm the pigs, for that matter.

Unfortunately, animal rights terrorists have ruined it for everyone, counter-productively rendering it unacceptable to interact with livestock at all.

8 Likes

There are wacky animal rights activists out there for sure but very few I’d call “terrorists.” For example, the Animal Liberation Front is one of the most “extremist” groups out there but even they haven’t actually killed anyone.

[Edit to add: though I concede they’ve committed acts of violence that could have killed someone, so they may indeed fit the bill after all.]

3 Likes

All discussions are “semantic”! If people aren’t interested in meaning, I don’t understand why they would say anything. The term seems to usually be disparaged by resolutely informal people who would prefer that we were all telepaths.

and now - back to our regularly scheduled programming!

4 Likes

C’mon man do your job. This was directed at me. We need you to fling words and stuff at @Missy_Pants instead!!! LOL

4 Likes

1 Like

What happend to gifs dangit? They broken?

1 Like

Awww

@Missy_Pants - Your ears are so cute!

https://discourse-cdn-sjc3.com//boingboing/user_avatar/bbs.boingboing.net/missy_pants/120/64338_1.png

7 Likes