Woman faces two years in Poland prison for art showing Jesus and Mary with rainbow halos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/08/woman-faces-two-years-in-polan.html

5 Likes

That could be any woman and her baby. Why assume a religious connection?

7 Likes

Because the people on the icon are most probably Isis and Osiris. Definitely a religious cult of ancient Egyptian origin that became quite popular in Rome around 100 B.C. It got mixed up with other middle eastern pop-religions and can still be found in many places today.

12 Likes

Because, aside from the rainbow halos, it is a copy of the Black Madonna–a national treasure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Madonna_of_Częstochowa

4 Likes

Uh oh, sharia-law in Poland. Now it really hits close to home.

11 Likes

Uhhh - that is the Black Madonna of Częstochowa which is super famous and revered in Poland. There isn’t really anything to compare it to in America. I guess if the Constitution and the Mona Lisa had a baby maybe?

Still, this shouldn’t result in jail time or even a fine.

16 Likes

It’s depressing to see the country where I live getting more fanatical each year.

15 Likes

They’re rainbows! Symbols of, um, God’s promise not to drown everyone again, was it?

Or she’s just trying to show kinship with some people in Peru.

17 Likes

I won’t use a flood again.
Hmm, bit too much wiggle-room there for my liking…

19 Likes

30 Likes

As a result of the searches, prosecutors are charging her with offending religious feelings

oh yeah? “offending religious feelings”. that shit again?

“No whim of freedom and ‘tolerance’ gives anyone the right to offend the feelings of believers,” Polish Interior Minister Joachim Brudziński said on Twitter.

what about my feelings, asshole?

36 Likes

I understand. I get pretty offended having to see Mary and Jesus too.

7 Likes

In other countries you would just get blacklisted from jobs, media and social media. I even have to be very careful about expressing my (non)religious views here.

Religion poisons everything. Even rainbows.

13 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that this law that prohibits “offending religious feelings” doesn’t apply to Muslims or Jews.

15 Likes

Or even satanists.

10 Likes

I could see some kind of jail time if she defaced the actual painting, but this is fucking stupid.

“Offending religious feelings” is batshit. There is no bottom to that well, and nothing that crawls from it is good.

17 Likes

Yeah, they’re going whole-hog on right-wing populism, with all the usual ultra-nationalist and anti-Semitic and anti-LGBTQ+ trimmings.

9 Likes

Long before the rainbow was a symbol of LGBT acceptance it was a reminder of that time when God wiped out almost all terrestrial life in an act of genocidal wrath. So what are they complaining about?

8 Likes

careful there; as PenScetch pointed out, theres no bottom and your suggestion makes it even more “offending”, argumentation as follows:

its a sign from HIM, and only HIM, so its use as a symbol for homosexual perversions is blasphemy on top of the blasphemy of homosexual perversions itself and even more so to use that now perverted symbol trough the perversion of blasphemic homosexual perversions to desecrate the holy mother and HIS son and therefore HIM.

im pretty sure some nutjob would argue like that.

3 Likes