Woman finally rescued after three days trapped in a New York elevator

This would have been a private elevator inside a private (5-story) home. They don’t require phones. With no one home for the weekend, and the article says she didn’t have a cell phone on her, there’s literally no way for someone to know she’s stuck. Horrifying.

6 Likes

Law & Order: Special Evelator Unit

2 Likes

6 Likes

At least some of them connect to the local fire department. My mother once got stuck in an elevator in between floors at city hall when she worked there. Granted, the fire department response was basically, “Ok, so get yourself out,” but it did connect to them. (To be fair, they also told her how to get out, but she couldn’t do it. Luckily for her after 30 minutes or so the elevator eventually moved on its own.)

2 Likes

Anyone (like me) living alone and not working could easily be in this situation. No one hearing from me for three days is not uncommon. It is not necessarily a sign of isolation or sadness.
Your absence would not be noticed collectively by your contacts. I would be few days before “Have you heard from so and so…?” started to make the rounds. From my job experience I can say that most safety checks by police are activated when people “no show no call” at work. At any rate, never get on an elevator in an empty/near empty building.

3 Likes

This seems a common theme… Planet Smashers - Pee In the Elevator.

1 Like

Private residences with their own elevators are the most posh, high-end ones. But elevators that are in private residences are the most cramped, slow, low-end ones.

The hazard of being trapped in an elevator is one of the things mentioned in this podcast. I’m actually surprised the podcast hasn’t gotten its own bb post by now.

This maid was probably an at-will employee who has been working every day for 18 years with no benefits and no job security.

Now, though she had to endure quite a lot to get it, she will be effectively awarded the pension she deserves [after the lawsuit]. Hopefully some lawyer gets to her before her “kind” billionaire employer buys her off cheap and gets her to sign away all liability.

5 Likes

This is why elevators need bathrooms.

5 Likes

Rather, this is why elevators need elevators.

1 Like

I feel bad she didn’t have a bear to hang out with.

1 Like

elevators, all the way down.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.