Woman in minivan beats up driver in high-speed police chase

You should be correct, but this was in Texas.

To me it looked like a fender bender involving the Grifter family.

It would probably very informative to see how many civil suits and personal injury claims this woman has made in the past. Heck we could start betting pool for how many lawsuits sheā€™s filed.

In Russia, dashcam videos frequently show the pedestrian flinging themselves across the hood of the stationary car as part of an insurance scam. This is usually followed by the driver exiting the vehicle and beating the crap out of the pedestrian, because he knows he beat the insurance claim with the video, and wants to get a little street justice on film.

1 Like

/\ Victim blaming at itā€™s finest

That was my first thought. Might go some way to explaining the folksā€™ aggro.

Youā€™re a cynical motherfucker. That kids looks scared as hell. I think heā€™s freaking out and panicking because he almost died and then his parents/guardians jumped out and all hell broke loose.My heart is breaking.

Iā€™ll take my ban proudly for ad hominem.

3 Likes

What a surprising avatar image you have.

The momā€™s 4-year old had recently died; the boyfriendā€™s van was needed for working. Yeah ā€“ they were pissed. Oh, and the teen wasnā€™t faking anything; he was recovering from the shock of thinking he was gonna die. (ā€œMy mom, she did put him in his place, and Iā€™m glad that heā€™s in jail 'cause, to be honest, when I was in the car, I thought I died.ā€) And, yes ā€“ the adults realized they had acted precipitously. But, you know, pissedā€¦

Thereā€™s plenty of info available about this incident; hereā€™s one piece.

5 Likes

Oh look, someone on the internet who knows better. And whatā€™s more, he learned it from videos he saw on the internet.

1 Like

I can only assume that you mean assault on the part of the jackass who hit her.

Thatā€™s terribly heart breaking about her younger child. I donā€™t imagine Iā€™d react much differently if I were in her position. Iā€™ve had to restrain myself from beating the everlovinā€™ shit out of three of the four drivers who have rear-ended me without those extenuating circumstances.

Iā€™m somewhat surprised this doesnā€™t happen more often in the economic boilermaker known as 'Merā€™ka.

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™d hope youā€™d NOW know that youā€™re at least 30% prejudiced. You might also be bad at estimating.

For me, the kid was the most entertaining part of the video.

I have to say, Iā€™m amused by people that think this woman is Mother Of The Year for ignoring her ā€œinjuredā€ child while she assaults a stranger in the middle of the street. Not to mention that a sane person would have considered that the person that hit her van was diabetic or something. I think maybe the kid should be checked for cigarette burns. And maybe mom needs some seroquel, klonopin, or trazodone to help stop her from assaulting strangers.

The interviews were pretty good where they breathlessly describe experiencing a fender bender. It sounded like theyā€™d cartwheeled off a cliff into a raging river and been swept over a waterfall.

Unfortunately none of us were there and can only go off the video. The video that shows:

the boy exiting the vehicle and rolling around and checking for viewers. After a certain amount of time he pops up and reacts normally (hugging the mom).

Thatā€™s it. No context and no audio of what he may have been saying. Maybe he was screaming ā€œmom come over here help meā€ and when she didnā€™t he got up and went to her.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the evidence as presented, even if you donā€™t like that opinion. Thereā€™s very few directions one can go given the video - itā€™s either real injury or fake. One is correct and one is not. Until injury is confirmed (did the kid seek medical treatment beyond being banged up?). Until we know - both opinions are validā€¦

Yes I am cynical. Some people are not.

As someone who has been rear-ended on a freeway - I feel for this kid. Most likely felt like he got punched in the gut (from the seat belt + momentum).

The recent article states that the young boy was not injured and released from the hospital the same day and in good spirits. That softens my cynicism (somewhat).

Except that thereā€™s a thing youā€™re assuming despite assuring us we canā€™t assume things not shown in the video: That the kidā€™s actions were reactions in any way to an injury, whether real or faked.

Did you watch the video I linked to? You can see when he gets up heā€™s holding his hand to his chest like heā€™s hyperventilating or having heart palpitations - supporting it being a panic attack and not an attempt to present injury.

Did you read the article @s2redux linked to? There you would hear the kidā€™s own account of his experience - he was thinking that he had died, not surprising given that his own young sibling had just recently died.

Itā€™s not even that youā€™re cynical thatā€™s striking to me now, itā€™s that you cling to your cynical version of what happened, even when presented with reasonable evidence that there is nothing here for the cynic to gripe about, even when you have to weave a really weird narrative to avoid letting the obvious and honest be the story.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œdragonfrog, post:36, topic:52070ā€]
Except that thereā€™s a thing youā€™re assuming despite assuring us we canā€™t assume things not shown in the video: That the kidā€™s actions were reactions in any way to an injury, whether real or faked.
[/quote]Promise not to punch anyone in the street OK? Because you seem pretty torqued already.

and our own implicit biases and drives to judge people.

1 Like

I must have missed the other video you mentioned - you know the one that shows the kid NOT doing any of what we discussed.

Thereā€™s different ways one can interpret a video (with no audio) - and many different ways to interpret the actions of a teenage boy. Everyone here will admit it was an odd reaction.

Most are comparing it to soccer players immediately going to the ground grabbing an ankle if you look at them funny.

Maybe some people here think heā€™s been touched by the hand of Jesus and was overwhelmed by the holy spirit.

I donā€™t think anyone here is qualified to state that one persons interpretation of a soundless video is any more wrong than others

By the way, I need to introduce everyone to the Internet. Internet, this is everyone. Weā€™re mostly cynical but some arenā€™tā€™. And thatā€™s OK.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.